Final Attack Trail officially opens in Sept

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30 4:47 AM
      From HAGERSTOWN HERALD-MAIL:

      "Hiking through history uphill: Trail at Antietam to provide real-life experience"
      by The Associated Press

      The final attack on the bloodiest day of the Civil War was literally an uphill battle. Now a trail at Antietam National Battlefield lets hikers feel the strain that soldiers from both sides experienced marching over hilly farm fields toward a meeting that ended with the Union failing to corner Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. "When you have an opportunity to see the 200-foot change in elevation, when people come out here and walk, they can see the terrain stopped the Union advance as much as the Confederate soldiers did," said Brian Baracz, a park ranger and historian. "You don't get much of an idea from your car."

      The Final Attack Trail officially opens next month during a weekend of activities marking the 133rd anniversary of the Battle of Antietam, also known as the Battle of Sharpsburg. More than 23,000 men were killed, wounded or reported missing at the Western Maryland site on Sept. 17, 1862, in the bloodiest one-day clash of the War Between the States. The 1.7-mile trail is the fourth at Antietam. A planned fifth trail will create a network of footpaths across the 3,288-acre park.

      The Final Attack Trail winds through a cornfield where the day's last engagement took place, starting at about 3:40 p.m. Lee's 2,800 troops were retreating, aiming to cross the Potomac River to safety. Union Gen. Ambrose Burnside's 8,000 soldiers were moving through the 40-acre cornfield on a course that would cut off Lee's line of retreat. Then Confederate Gen. A.P. Hill arrived from the south with 2,500 troops. Burnside's troops were driven back in a nearly two-hour clash that resulted in 3,470 casualties, according to the park's Web site. There were twice as many Union casualties as Confederate.

      The next day, Federal and Confederate leaders struck an informal truce so they could gather their wounded and dying. That evening, Lee began withdrawing his army across the Potomac. The fighting took place on land that remained in private hands until three years ago, when the National Park Service acquired 136 acres of the Shade Farm. The field is dotted with monuments erected by veterans organizations and states with soldiers who fought there. "Most of the troops were from New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Ohio, and we get a lot of letters from folks in those areas wanting to see this. It's really important for them to be able to walk in the footsteps of the soldiers," said Superintendent John Howard.

    • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30 7:37 AM
        Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30 7:40 AM
          Jeff,

          IIRC, it starts at the Otto Farm just up from the Burnside Bridge
          overlook...........

          Very respectfully,

          to preserve it, save that of honour."

          > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30 7:46 AM
            I took a similar walk this spring, but we took the Snavely Ford trail and
            came up the ravine from the ford. I would imagine the trail will feature
            the refurbished Otto Farm lane and the 40 acre cornfield.

            Harry

            > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

            ----

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

            _____

          • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30 7:55 AM
              Thanks. No substitute for walking the actual ground; as much of it as
              possible.

              > Excellent. If it's 1.7 miles, does it start at the river?

              Service.

              --------

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30 7:55 AM
                I had the pleasure of walking the new tour recently with one of the
                rangers. It starts at the Burnside Bridge parking lot and heads due
                West in a bit of a zig-zag towards the 11th Ohio monument. From there
                it heads toward the 16th CT and then in a big loop back towards the
                12th Ohio, north on the Otto Lane about 50 yards and then East though
                the fields back to the parking lot.

                It doesn't go down to the trail to follow the advance of Rodman - the
                route I believe Harry is referring to. That was a really fun walk. We
                had to push our way through the bushes. It was exciting being on such
                virgin ground. Last time I was down there, though, I believe I saw that
                Rodman's path has been carved out through the woods. Those NPS folks
                are very busy down there. Many kudos.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30 8:02 AM
                  Steve,

                  That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
                  images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send you and
                  Tom disks.

                  That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle berry
                  tree?

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30 8:28 AM
                    I have found Rufus Dawes to be one of the best narratives about the
                    fight for the Iron Brigade.

                    What is the best narrative for the Irish Brigade at the Sunken Road?
                    Thanks.

                    Stephen Recker
                  • rotbaron@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30 8:50 AM
                      My favorite is the book MY SONS WERE FAITHFUL AND THEY FOUGHT by Joseph Bilby and Steve O'Neill. Admitttedly the maps noting extent of Meagher's left flank have been argued herein and elsewhere. But it's provides some nice personal accounts and is full of details.

                      Of course, the Carman Manuscript has a great narrative also.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30 10:18 AM
                        Harry,

                        Could you send me disks also? Contact me privately by email if you
                        can........

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30 11:49 AM
                          Hackberry. A term unfamiliar to me until th NPS natural resources folks
                          introduced it to me.

                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 30 1:12 PM
                            Thanks, Tom. I'm one step closer to getting those pictures labeled.

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 30 2:03 PM
                              On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                              > That was a fun walk. By the way, I've just about finished labeling the
                              > images I took on that trip (it's only been 5 months), and I'll send
                              > you and
                              > Tom disks.

                              Thanks. I appreciate that. It was a great walk.

                              > That tree where the wall AP Hill's men crossed over - is that a hackle
                              > berry
                              > tree?

                              I defer to Prof. Clemens.