Re: Body Count

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
      Stephen, just as reinforcement to the two Toms' conclusions, Dr. Harsh
      in "Taken at the Flood" also addresses casualties up to 9 am and then
      the total for the "Morning Phase." Addressing up to 9 am (the
      Cornfield and East Woods), on p. 376, Dr. Harsh writes, "In all,
      during the three hours, 27,000 men had struggled over the same 160
      acres and 8,700 (32.2 percent) had fallen." I believe I can accounted
      for 604 missing from units engaged up to this time. If you subtract
      the missing, that comes very close to the "Cornfield Trail" pamphlet
      statement of "as many as 8,000 men were killed or wounded."

      Dr. Harsh concluded on p. 394 that 4,481 caualties occured during the
      fighting in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church. This includes
      casualties suffered by Col. Irwin's brigade in the vicinity of the
      Dunker Church, less those of the 7th Maine. On p. 395, he gives 13,179
      for the total "Morning Phase". Again, very close to the NPS morning
      phase casualty number.

      Dr. Harsh references Section K of Chapter 9 of "Sounding the Shallows"
      to address allocating casualties for units when divisions and even
      regiments could be split between phases.

      Ron Dickey

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
        Great stuff. Thanks.

        Stephen