Re: [TalkAntietam] Body Count

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
      Thanks. These statistics make Tom Clemens' case that the pamphlet I was
      looking at did not include the West Woods. Awesome. Thanks to both Toms.

      Stephen

      On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 11:59 AM, rotbaron@... wrote:

      > Stephen,
      >
      > Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
      > http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm
      >
      > Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA
    • dickeyr46
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
        Stephen, just as reinforcement to the two Toms' conclusions, Dr. Harsh
        in "Taken at the Flood" also addresses casualties up to 9 am and then
        the total for the "Morning Phase." Addressing up to 9 am (the
        Cornfield and East Woods), on p. 376, Dr. Harsh writes, "In all,
        during the three hours, 27,000 men had struggled over the same 160
        acres and 8,700 (32.2 percent) had fallen." I believe I can accounted
        for 604 missing from units engaged up to this time. If you subtract
        the missing, that comes very close to the "Cornfield Trail" pamphlet
        statement of "as many as 8,000 men were killed or wounded."

        Dr. Harsh concluded on p. 394 that 4,481 caualties occured during the
        fighting in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church. This includes
        casualties suffered by Col. Irwin's brigade in the vicinity of the
        Dunker Church, less those of the 7th Maine. On p. 395, he gives 13,179
        for the total "Morning Phase". Again, very close to the NPS morning
        phase casualty number.

        Dr. Harsh references Section K of Chapter 9 of "Sounding the Shallows"
        to address allocating casualties for units when divisions and even
        regiments could be split between phases.

        Ron Dickey

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
          Great stuff. Thanks.

          Stephen