Re: [TalkAntietam] Body Count

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
      Stephen,

      Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm

      Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
        Thanks. These statistics make Tom Clemens' case that the pamphlet I was
        looking at did not include the West Woods. Awesome. Thanks to both Toms.

        Stephen

        On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 11:59 AM, rotbaron@... wrote:

        > Stephen,
        >
        > Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
        > http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm
        >
        > Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA
      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
          Stephen, just as reinforcement to the two Toms' conclusions, Dr. Harsh
          in "Taken at the Flood" also addresses casualties up to 9 am and then
          the total for the "Morning Phase." Addressing up to 9 am (the
          Cornfield and East Woods), on p. 376, Dr. Harsh writes, "In all,
          during the three hours, 27,000 men had struggled over the same 160
          acres and 8,700 (32.2 percent) had fallen." I believe I can accounted
          for 604 missing from units engaged up to this time. If you subtract
          the missing, that comes very close to the "Cornfield Trail" pamphlet
          statement of "as many as 8,000 men were killed or wounded."

          Dr. Harsh concluded on p. 394 that 4,481 caualties occured during the
          fighting in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church. This includes
          casualties suffered by Col. Irwin's brigade in the vicinity of the
          Dunker Church, less those of the 7th Maine. On p. 395, he gives 13,179
          for the total "Morning Phase". Again, very close to the NPS morning
          phase casualty number.

          Dr. Harsh references Section K of Chapter 9 of "Sounding the Shallows"
          to address allocating casualties for units when divisions and even
          regiments could be split between phases.

          Ron Dickey

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
            Great stuff. Thanks.

            Stephen