Re: [TalkAntietam] Body Count

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
      Thanks, Tom. And the lower number doesn't seem to include captures,
      although that number is less than one thousand.

      Stephen Recker

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
        Stephen,

        Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
        http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm

        Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
          Thanks. These statistics make Tom Clemens' case that the pamphlet I was
          looking at did not include the West Woods. Awesome. Thanks to both Toms.

          Stephen

          On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 11:59 AM, rotbaron@... wrote:

          > Stephen,
          >
          > Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
          > http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm
          >
          > Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA
        • dickeyr46
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
            Stephen, just as reinforcement to the two Toms' conclusions, Dr. Harsh
            in "Taken at the Flood" also addresses casualties up to 9 am and then
            the total for the "Morning Phase." Addressing up to 9 am (the
            Cornfield and East Woods), on p. 376, Dr. Harsh writes, "In all,
            during the three hours, 27,000 men had struggled over the same 160
            acres and 8,700 (32.2 percent) had fallen." I believe I can accounted
            for 604 missing from units engaged up to this time. If you subtract
            the missing, that comes very close to the "Cornfield Trail" pamphlet
            statement of "as many as 8,000 men were killed or wounded."

            Dr. Harsh concluded on p. 394 that 4,481 caualties occured during the
            fighting in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church. This includes
            casualties suffered by Col. Irwin's brigade in the vicinity of the
            Dunker Church, less those of the 7th Maine. On p. 395, he gives 13,179
            for the total "Morning Phase". Again, very close to the NPS morning
            phase casualty number.

            Dr. Harsh references Section K of Chapter 9 of "Sounding the Shallows"
            to address allocating casualties for units when divisions and even
            regiments could be split between phases.

            Ron Dickey

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
              Great stuff. Thanks.

              Stephen