RE: [TalkAntietam] Wings

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

      Then why was Burnside still acting as wing commander, and Cox as 9th Corps
      commander?

      Harry

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
        Interesting thought.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

          Thanks for this recommendation. I think they have this at the Antietam
          bookstore. I'll check it out.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

            Thanks for pointing me to this. I have a stack of park brochures and
            found it in there. It is really helpful.

            Actually I never really looked through this stack of brochures, but
            there is some really great stuff in hear. The Antietam bookstore sells
            the whole bunch for about $1. What a great deal.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
              Excellent. I'll look these up. Thanks.

              There is a sad irony in the second note - "Brig. Gen. J. K. F.
              Mansfield is TEMPORARILY assigned to the command of Bank's (12) corps."

              Stephen

              On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, at 08:51 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

              > The "wings" order was made offiical on Sept. 14, by Special Order. See
              > p. 290, OR, Vol. 19 pt. 2. It was suspended on Sept. 15, see p. 297,
              > op. cit.
            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                Is that the set that comes in a zip-lock baggie? I think I have that as
                well.

                Harry

                _____

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 24, 2005
                  I am trying to get a handle on the number of casualties in the Morning
                  Phase of the battle of Antietam. In the NPS pamphlet called "Casualties
                  of Battle" it states that there were 13,860 casualties in the morning
                  phase. In the Cornfield Trail pamphlet it states that 'as many as 8,000
                  men were killed or wounded from dawn until 9:00 am'.

                  I have seen this range stated in a number of places. Is there a
                  distinction that I am missing between the two numbers? Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 24, 2005
                    It sounds "until 9:00" does not include the West Woods action. That
                    would account for at least some of the disparity. I will look at
                    Carman's chart tonight and get back to you.
                    Tom Clemens

                    >>> recker@... 8/24/2005 11:00:05 AM >>>

                    I am trying to get a handle on the number of casualties in the Morning

                    Phase of the battle of Antietam. In the NPS pamphlet called "Casualties

                    of Battle" it states that there were 13,860 casualties in the morning
                    phase. In the Cornfield Trail pamphlet it states that 'as many as 8,000

                    men were killed or wounded from dawn until 9:00 am'.

                    I have seen this range stated in a number of places. Is there a
                    distinction that I am missing between the two numbers? Thanks.

                    Stephen Recker

                    Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                      Thanks, Tom. And the lower number doesn't seem to include captures,
                      although that number is less than one thousand.

                      Stephen Recker

                    • rotbaron@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                        Stephen,

                        Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
                        http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm

                        Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                          Thanks. These statistics make Tom Clemens' case that the pamphlet I was
                          looking at did not include the West Woods. Awesome. Thanks to both Toms.

                          Stephen

                          On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 11:59 AM, rotbaron@... wrote:

                          > Stephen,
                          >
                          > Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
                          > http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm
                          >
                          > Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA
                        • dickeyr46
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                            Stephen, just as reinforcement to the two Toms' conclusions, Dr. Harsh
                            in "Taken at the Flood" also addresses casualties up to 9 am and then
                            the total for the "Morning Phase." Addressing up to 9 am (the
                            Cornfield and East Woods), on p. 376, Dr. Harsh writes, "In all,
                            during the three hours, 27,000 men had struggled over the same 160
                            acres and 8,700 (32.2 percent) had fallen." I believe I can accounted
                            for 604 missing from units engaged up to this time. If you subtract
                            the missing, that comes very close to the "Cornfield Trail" pamphlet
                            statement of "as many as 8,000 men were killed or wounded."

                            Dr. Harsh concluded on p. 394 that 4,481 caualties occured during the
                            fighting in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church. This includes
                            casualties suffered by Col. Irwin's brigade in the vicinity of the
                            Dunker Church, less those of the 7th Maine. On p. 395, he gives 13,179
                            for the total "Morning Phase". Again, very close to the NPS morning
                            phase casualty number.

                            Dr. Harsh references Section K of Chapter 9 of "Sounding the Shallows"
                            to address allocating casualties for units when divisions and even
                            regiments could be split between phases.

                            Ron Dickey

                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                              Great stuff. Thanks.

                              Stephen