Re: [TalkAntietam] Kevin Rawlings

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
      Thanks Gerry, I couldn remember his internet provider.

      Paula

      Paula;

      Did you try cwsanta@... or civilwarsanta@...?

      Very respectfully,

      to preserve it, save that of honour."

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
        Paula,

        Let me know which address works for you and I will enter it in my address
        book as well.

        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
          Gerry wrote: <<Let me know which address works for you and I will enter it in my address
          book as well.>>
          Neither of them Gerry!
          Paula

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
            Somewhere I got the impression that McClellan dissolved the Wing
            structure of the AOP after the Battle of South Mountain. This would
            explain how Hooker and Burnside ended up on opposite ends of the field.

            If this was so, why did McClellan tell Sumner, as Wing Commander, to
            send in the XII Corps?

            Any thoughts? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
              What is considered the best overview of casualties as broken down by
              geographical area on the Antietam Battlefield? The CWTI special issue
              has that great casualty chart, based on Carman, but it is broken down
              by command. Thanks.

              Stephen Recker
            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                I don't think the Wing structure was dissolved. In fact, Burnside was still
                a wing commander - Hooker was detached. This left Burnside with only one
                corps in his wing, 9th Corps. Cox was in direct command of 9th Corps.
                Burnside really served no useful purpose in this case, though orders from
                army command were still filtered through his staff to Cox. This situation
                has been described as contributing to the troubles at the Lower Bridge.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                  Dear Stephen,

                  Could it possibly be due to the fact that Mansfield had "no" combat
                  experience prior to being given command of the 12th Corps?

                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                    Dear Stephen,

                    I am not sure, but John Nelson has an excellent CD detailing the Federal
                    casualties and a listing of all the Field Hospitals. Would this be helpful?

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                      Steve,
                      The "wings" order was made offiical on Sept. 14, by Special Order. See
                      p. 290, OR, Vol. 19 pt. 2. It was suspended on Sept. 15, see p. 297,
                      op. cit.
                      The best summary of casualtires by location that I have seen is one made
                      up by the interp staff and I carry in my notebook. I'll be happy to
                      make a copy for you, or talk to Keith.
                      Tom

                      >>> recker@... 08/15/05 5:02 PM >>>
                    • Harry Smeltzer
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

                        Then why was Burnside still acting as wing commander, and Cox as 9th Corps
                        commander?

                        Harry

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                          It is interesting that taking one of two corps out of a wing could be
                          considered a detachment. I smell intrigue.

                          I've heard the the Burnside, in his supernumary (sp?) position was
                          either in his tent most of the morning or standing next to Cox
                          intimidating him. Which was it? Thanks.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                            Interesting thought.

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

                              Thanks for this recommendation. I think they have this at the Antietam
                              bookstore. I'll check it out.

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

                                Thanks for pointing me to this. I have a stack of park brochures and
                                found it in there. It is really helpful.

                                Actually I never really looked through this stack of brochures, but
                                there is some really great stuff in hear. The Antietam bookstore sells
                                the whole bunch for about $1. What a great deal.

                                Stephen

                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                                  Excellent. I'll look these up. Thanks.

                                  There is a sad irony in the second note - "Brig. Gen. J. K. F.
                                  Mansfield is TEMPORARILY assigned to the command of Bank's (12) corps."

                                  Stephen

                                  On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, at 08:51 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                  > The "wings" order was made offiical on Sept. 14, by Special Order. See
                                  > p. 290, OR, Vol. 19 pt. 2. It was suspended on Sept. 15, see p. 297,
                                  > op. cit.
                                • Harry Smeltzer
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                                    Is that the set that comes in a zip-lock baggie? I think I have that as
                                    well.

                                    Harry

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 24, 2005
                                      I am trying to get a handle on the number of casualties in the Morning
                                      Phase of the battle of Antietam. In the NPS pamphlet called "Casualties
                                      of Battle" it states that there were 13,860 casualties in the morning
                                      phase. In the Cornfield Trail pamphlet it states that 'as many as 8,000
                                      men were killed or wounded from dawn until 9:00 am'.

                                      I have seen this range stated in a number of places. Is there a
                                      distinction that I am missing between the two numbers? Thanks.

                                      Stephen Recker
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 24, 2005
                                        It sounds "until 9:00" does not include the West Woods action. That
                                        would account for at least some of the disparity. I will look at
                                        Carman's chart tonight and get back to you.
                                        Tom Clemens

                                        >>> recker@... 8/24/2005 11:00:05 AM >>>

                                        I am trying to get a handle on the number of casualties in the Morning

                                        Phase of the battle of Antietam. In the NPS pamphlet called "Casualties

                                        of Battle" it states that there were 13,860 casualties in the morning
                                        phase. In the Cornfield Trail pamphlet it states that 'as many as 8,000

                                        men were killed or wounded from dawn until 9:00 am'.

                                        I have seen this range stated in a number of places. Is there a
                                        distinction that I am missing between the two numbers? Thanks.

                                        Stephen Recker

                                        Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
                                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                          Thanks, Tom. And the lower number doesn't seem to include captures,
                                          although that number is less than one thousand.

                                          Stephen Recker

                                        • rotbaron@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                            Stephen,

                                            Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
                                            http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm

                                            Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                              Thanks. These statistics make Tom Clemens' case that the pamphlet I was
                                              looking at did not include the West Woods. Awesome. Thanks to both Toms.

                                              Stephen

                                              On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 11:59 AM, rotbaron@... wrote:

                                              > Stephen,
                                              >
                                              > Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
                                              > http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm
                                              >
                                              > Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA
                                            • dickeyr46
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                                Stephen, just as reinforcement to the two Toms' conclusions, Dr. Harsh
                                                in "Taken at the Flood" also addresses casualties up to 9 am and then
                                                the total for the "Morning Phase." Addressing up to 9 am (the
                                                Cornfield and East Woods), on p. 376, Dr. Harsh writes, "In all,
                                                during the three hours, 27,000 men had struggled over the same 160
                                                acres and 8,700 (32.2 percent) had fallen." I believe I can accounted
                                                for 604 missing from units engaged up to this time. If you subtract
                                                the missing, that comes very close to the "Cornfield Trail" pamphlet
                                                statement of "as many as 8,000 men were killed or wounded."

                                                Dr. Harsh concluded on p. 394 that 4,481 caualties occured during the
                                                fighting in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church. This includes
                                                casualties suffered by Col. Irwin's brigade in the vicinity of the
                                                Dunker Church, less those of the 7th Maine. On p. 395, he gives 13,179
                                                for the total "Morning Phase". Again, very close to the NPS morning
                                                phase casualty number.

                                                Dr. Harsh references Section K of Chapter 9 of "Sounding the Shallows"
                                                to address allocating casualties for units when divisions and even
                                                regiments could be split between phases.

                                                Ron Dickey

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                                  Great stuff. Thanks.

                                                  Stephen