Kevin Rawlings

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
      Will Kevin Rawlings please contact me (or if someone has his email could you send it to me please?).

      Kevin: If you are out there, Pennypacker Mills is trying to get in touch with you, but the email I sent them bounced, so I need a good one!!!

      Sorry to interrupt the list.

      Paula

      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
        Paula;

        Did you try cwsanta@... or civilwarsanta@...?

        Very respectfully,

        to preserve it, save that of honour."

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
          Thanks Gerry, I couldn remember his internet provider.

          Paula

          Paula;

          Did you try cwsanta@... or civilwarsanta@...?

          Very respectfully,

          to preserve it, save that of honour."

          > Will Kevin Rawlings please contact me (or if someone has his email could
          > you send it to me please?).
          >
          > Kevin: If you are out there, Pennypacker Mills is trying to get in touch
          > with you, but the email I sent them bounced, so I need a good one!!!
          >
          > Sorry to interrupt the list.
          >
          > Paula

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
            Paula,

            Let me know which address works for you and I will enter it in my address
            book as well.

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
              Gerry wrote: <<Let me know which address works for you and I will enter it in my address
              book as well.>>
              Neither of them Gerry!
              Paula

              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                Somewhere I got the impression that McClellan dissolved the Wing
                structure of the AOP after the Battle of South Mountain. This would
                explain how Hooker and Burnside ended up on opposite ends of the field.

                If this was so, why did McClellan tell Sumner, as Wing Commander, to
                send in the XII Corps?

                Any thoughts? Thanks.

                Stephen Recker
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                  What is considered the best overview of casualties as broken down by
                  geographical area on the Antietam Battlefield? The CWTI special issue
                  has that great casualty chart, based on Carman, but it is broken down
                  by command. Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker
                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                    I don't think the Wing structure was dissolved. In fact, Burnside was still
                    a wing commander - Hooker was detached. This left Burnside with only one
                    corps in his wing, 9th Corps. Cox was in direct command of 9th Corps.
                    Burnside really served no useful purpose in this case, though orders from
                    army command were still filtered through his staff to Cox. This situation
                    has been described as contributing to the troubles at the Lower Bridge.

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                      Dear Stephen,

                      Could it possibly be due to the fact that Mansfield had "no" combat
                      experience prior to being given command of the 12th Corps?

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 15, 2005
                        Dear Stephen,

                        I am not sure, but John Nelson has an excellent CD detailing the Federal
                        casualties and a listing of all the Field Hospitals. Would this be helpful?

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                          Steve,
                          The "wings" order was made offiical on Sept. 14, by Special Order. See
                          p. 290, OR, Vol. 19 pt. 2. It was suspended on Sept. 15, see p. 297,
                          op. cit.
                          The best summary of casualtires by location that I have seen is one made
                          up by the interp staff and I carry in my notebook. I'll be happy to
                          make a copy for you, or talk to Keith.
                          Tom

                          >>> recker@... 08/15/05 5:02 PM >>>
                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

                            Then why was Burnside still acting as wing commander, and Cox as 9th Corps
                            commander?

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                              It is interesting that taking one of two corps out of a wing could be
                              considered a detachment. I smell intrigue.

                              I've heard the the Burnside, in his supernumary (sp?) position was
                              either in his tent most of the morning or standing next to Cox
                              intimidating him. Which was it? Thanks.

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                                Interesting thought.

                                Stephen

                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

                                  Thanks for this recommendation. I think they have this at the Antietam
                                  bookstore. I'll check it out.

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005

                                    Thanks for pointing me to this. I have a stack of park brochures and
                                    found it in there. It is really helpful.

                                    Actually I never really looked through this stack of brochures, but
                                    there is some really great stuff in hear. The Antietam bookstore sells
                                    the whole bunch for about $1. What a great deal.

                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                                      Excellent. I'll look these up. Thanks.

                                      There is a sad irony in the second note - "Brig. Gen. J. K. F.
                                      Mansfield is TEMPORARILY assigned to the command of Bank's (12) corps."

                                      Stephen

                                      On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, at 08:51 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                      > The "wings" order was made offiical on Sept. 14, by Special Order. See
                                      > p. 290, OR, Vol. 19 pt. 2. It was suspended on Sept. 15, see p. 297,
                                      > op. cit.
                                    • Harry Smeltzer
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                                        Is that the set that comes in a zip-lock baggie? I think I have that as
                                        well.

                                        Harry

                                        _____

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 24, 2005
                                          I am trying to get a handle on the number of casualties in the Morning
                                          Phase of the battle of Antietam. In the NPS pamphlet called "Casualties
                                          of Battle" it states that there were 13,860 casualties in the morning
                                          phase. In the Cornfield Trail pamphlet it states that 'as many as 8,000
                                          men were killed or wounded from dawn until 9:00 am'.

                                          I have seen this range stated in a number of places. Is there a
                                          distinction that I am missing between the two numbers? Thanks.

                                          Stephen Recker
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 24, 2005
                                            It sounds "until 9:00" does not include the West Woods action. That
                                            would account for at least some of the disparity. I will look at
                                            Carman's chart tonight and get back to you.
                                            Tom Clemens

                                            >>> recker@... 8/24/2005 11:00:05 AM >>>

                                            I am trying to get a handle on the number of casualties in the Morning

                                            Phase of the battle of Antietam. In the NPS pamphlet called "Casualties

                                            of Battle" it states that there were 13,860 casualties in the morning
                                            phase. In the Cornfield Trail pamphlet it states that 'as many as 8,000

                                            men were killed or wounded from dawn until 9:00 am'.

                                            I have seen this range stated in a number of places. Is there a
                                            distinction that I am missing between the two numbers? Thanks.

                                            Stephen Recker

                                            Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
                                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                              Thanks, Tom. And the lower number doesn't seem to include captures,
                                              although that number is less than one thousand.

                                              Stephen Recker

                                            • rotbaron@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                                Stephen,

                                                Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
                                                http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm

                                                Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                                  Thanks. These statistics make Tom Clemens' case that the pamphlet I was
                                                  looking at did not include the West Woods. Awesome. Thanks to both Toms.

                                                  Stephen

                                                  On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 11:59 AM, rotbaron@... wrote:

                                                  > Stephen,
                                                  >
                                                  > Antietam casualties are broken out on the NPS webpage at:
                                                  > http://www.nps.gov/anti/casualty.htm
                                                  >
                                                  > Tom Shay - Cresssona, PA
                                                • dickeyr46
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                                    Stephen, just as reinforcement to the two Toms' conclusions, Dr. Harsh
                                                    in "Taken at the Flood" also addresses casualties up to 9 am and then
                                                    the total for the "Morning Phase." Addressing up to 9 am (the
                                                    Cornfield and East Woods), on p. 376, Dr. Harsh writes, "In all,
                                                    during the three hours, 27,000 men had struggled over the same 160
                                                    acres and 8,700 (32.2 percent) had fallen." I believe I can accounted
                                                    for 604 missing from units engaged up to this time. If you subtract
                                                    the missing, that comes very close to the "Cornfield Trail" pamphlet
                                                    statement of "as many as 8,000 men were killed or wounded."

                                                    Dr. Harsh concluded on p. 394 that 4,481 caualties occured during the
                                                    fighting in the West Woods and around the Dunker Church. This includes
                                                    casualties suffered by Col. Irwin's brigade in the vicinity of the
                                                    Dunker Church, less those of the 7th Maine. On p. 395, he gives 13,179
                                                    for the total "Morning Phase". Again, very close to the NPS morning
                                                    phase casualty number.

                                                    Dr. Harsh references Section K of Chapter 9 of "Sounding the Shallows"
                                                    to address allocating casualties for units when divisions and even
                                                    regiments could be split between phases.

                                                    Ron Dickey

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 25, 2005
                                                      Great stuff. Thanks.

                                                      Stephen