Heritage Day returning to Sharpsburg

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 7:12 AM
      From Hagerstown HERALD-MAIL (August 2, 2005)...

      Heritage Day returning to Sharpsburg

      Sharpsburg Heritage Day will return to Main Street in September, and the town's historical society president said she believes this year's event will capture as much of what the town and its history are about as any that have come before it.

      "We're very much trying to keep the focus on the history of Sharpsburg, instead of the craft sales," Sharpsburg Historical Society President Edie Wallace said. "Mainly, because it's the anniversary of the Battle of Antietam. For Sharpsburg, it's an opportunity to highlight Sharpsburg. Of course, Sharpsburg was in the middle of the battle."

      Jan Wetterer, editor of the Sharpsburg Town Crier and a member of the historical society, said organizers of the annual event decided two years ago they could no longer run the event. "They just couldn't do it anymore for several reasons," Wetterer said. Rather than see the event dissolve, she said, the society assumed the responsibility for coordinating the affair.

      This year's event, scheduled for Sept. 17, will feature a pair of historical re-enactment bands, historical displays, house tours, a full-course Chinese dinner at St. Paul's Episcopal Church and traditional Appalachian and Celtic music. Wallace said the struggle this year is to spread the word that Sharpsburg Heritage Day is back. Wallace unveiled the tentative schedule for this year's event during a presentation Monday night at the Town Hall in Sharpsburg. The town council was scheduled to meet, but lacking a quorum, those members in attendance talked with members of the society about this year's plans.

      Mayor Hal Spielman suggested the society's members might want to let residents along Main and Mechanic streets, where Heritage Day will take place, know about the plans.

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17 7:29 PM
        You guys ain't gonna believe this one....

        I was doing a TV interview this afternoon (small time thingy for a friend)
        and he decided he wanted to do it at Oakland Cemetery here in Atlanta. It
        includes a Confederate Cemetery, so -- great.

        We're doing a "walkie-talkie" walking around the grounds of this beautiful
        and historic place and I stopped dead in my tracks (pun intended). "Oh, my
        God! There is John Brown Gordon!" So right there on the spot, I told all
        about The Bloody Lane. "These men will stay here till the sun goes down or
        victory is won." Talk about serendipity!

        Richard