Re: [TalkAntietam] The perils of wet powder

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2001
      Tony--

      I was there in my unit uniform. Other than a few showers on
      Saturday, there did not appear to be a problem. Sunday was a
      gorgeously sunny day.

      Saw Jim Morgan there as well....

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2001
          In a message dated 6/25/01 6:53:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          awturner@... writes:

          Have those of you who attended the artillery event in Sharpsburg last
          weekend anything to report about firing in what must have been a very
          heavy rain?

             Wasn't a problem on Saturday and I see that Gerry says it was even nicer
          on Sunday.  One thing the weather conditions did was give a nice deep
          "whumpf" sound to the cannon fire.
              The fellows who did the drill - the Baltimore Light Artillery - were led
          by a West Pointer and for real artilleryman who really knew his stuff.  I
          didn't get his name but he gave excellent descriptions and explanations to
          the crowd and the BLA, as usual, did a very good job.
              I don't know if Gerry was following me or I was following him, but we
          ran into each other in about three different parts of the battlefield.  He
          was in uniform and I kept wishing that I was.

          regards,
          Jim Morgan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2001
            Jim--

            What would we have done if we both were in uniform?

            BTW, did you get a chance to catch some of the "drill" being done
            on the front lawn of the Antietam VC led by the volunteer in the
            park dressed as a Federal Sgt. Major (I think)? He did not have
            his tunic on but had his vest on. It was hilarious to see his
            "company" attempt to perform the Manual of Arms!

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            > In a message dated 6/25/01 6:53:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > awturner@... writes:
            >

            > > Have those of you who attended the artillery event in
            Sharpsburg last
            > > weekend anything to report about firing in what must have
            been a very
            > > heavy rain?
            >
            > Wasn't a problem on Saturday and I see that Gerry says it
            was even nicer
            > on Sunday. One thing the weather conditions did was give a
            nice deep
            > "whumpf" sound to the cannon fire.
            > The fellows who did the drill - the Baltimore Light
            Artillery - were led
            > by a West Pointer and for real artilleryman who really knew his
            stuff. I
            > didn't get his name but he gave excellent descriptions and
            explanations to
            > the crowd and the BLA, as usual, did a very good job.
            > I don't know if Gerry was following me or I was following
            him, but we
            > ran into each other in about three different parts of the
            battlefield. He
            > was in uniform and I kept wishing that I was.
            >
            > regards,
            > Jim Morgan

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 26, 2001
              The West Pointer is Jim Loba, a true gentleman and nice guy who works at
              a historic site in Winchester.