RE: Letter From Stuart to Flora

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2001
      Afternoon All,

      Thought I would share this letter written by JEB to his wife, Flora,
      dated Sept. 4, 1862, from "Hdqtrs, Drainesville"

      Regards,
      Teej

      "My Darling one--

      Long before this reaches you I will be in Maryland. I have not been
      able to keep the list of battles much less give you any accounts of
      them. I present position on the banks of the Potomac will tell you
      volumes. My Staff are all well-- Capt. Stuart was killed storming
      Groveton Heights. I have seen my Fairfax Sweethearts & all inquired very
      much about you--
      Dr. Coolidge is within our lines on the battle field, Genls Kearney &
      Stevens were killed & several of their Generals wounded. We captured Tom
      Hight's entire Co. 2 Dragoons--Bob Clary was his Lieut, we paroled them
      all.
      Parson [John] Landstreet was captured & saw all their Generals--Pope
      told him to tell me he would send me my hat if I would send him his
      coat. I must have my hat first. I recaptured Landstreet at Fairfax C.H.
      We pursued the enemy beyond Anandale. We knocked Buford's Brigade into
      Bull Run capturing 220. Killing a Col.
      Landstreet says all the officers on the other side spoke kind of me.
      May God help you. In haste

      Ever yours
      JEB Stuart
      Major Ge [The words "Major Ge" is struck through]

      PS: I send 200 in draft, $50 in notes can you pay my tailors bill? Gen
      Ewell leg was amputated, it is hoped he will get well. Trimble was
      wounded. Hampton has joined me.
      Tell Miss Mary Lee that Wilson Turner was killed fighting most
      heroically, Kinloch Tom, tell her, is now with me. Gen. R.E. Lee fell &
      bruised his hand badly the other day.

      JEB
    • Anthony W. Turner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2001
        Thanks for the Stuart letter, Teej. I hope the Weather Channel is
        correct and that Soaker Allison has finally left NC.

        BTW, was the Capt. Stuart whom Jeb mentions a brother or cousin?

        Tony Turner
      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2001
          "Anthony W. Turner" wrote:

          Tony,

          > Thanks for the Stuart letter, Teej. I hope the Weather Channel is
          > correct and that Soaker Allison has finally left NC.

          Not quite, still a few lingering storms and heavy down pours.

          > BTW, was the Capt. Stuart whom Jeb mentions a brother or cousin?

          Capt. James Hardeman Stuart and JEB Stuart were double third cousins. I
          let you figure that one out. :-) Like Pelham, Hardeman Stuart took part
          in a battle that was not his and was killed.

          Teej

        • SusanD1861@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2001
            Teej,

            thanks for posting this letter. I love to read actual letters written
            by historical figures. It helps bring then to life.

            susan