Re: [TalkAntietam] McClellan has the 'fasts'

    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 10, 2005

      This is really great stuff. It explains a lot. I'll have to pick your
      brain more on this once I finish it. Thanks.

      I think I heard that the Antietam Visitor Center bookstore is having a
      book fair on July 16th and that Mr. Rafuse will be there. Can anyone
      confirm this?

      Stephen Recker

      On Saturday, July 9, 2005, at 06:56 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

      > Due to some extrememly long plane rides I had a chance to finish it
      > last
      > week. Some background for you: Rafuse was a student of Harsh at GMU,
      > and took his BA and Masters under him. Knowing Joe very well, and his
      > views, Rafuse is very consistent with Harsh's. Rafuse went to Univ. of
      > Missouri, KC, where he studied under Herman Hattaway, who also takes a
      > somewhat positive view of McClellan. This book was his doctoral
      > dissertation. I think it is the most balanced view I have ever seen.
      > Rafuse does criticize McClellan at times, when & where he deserves it,
      > but does not give in to "psychological profiling" to explain
      > everything,
      > but looks att he circumstances, situations, etc. His take on things is
      > similar to Masrzalek's view of Halleck. Ironic, isn't it?
      > Tom
      >
      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
    • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
      Message 90 of 90 , Jul 12, 2005