RE: [TalkAntietam] Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 8 9:39 AM
      The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

      Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

      The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
      Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
      Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
      copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
      even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

      I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
      used.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 8 12:25 PM
        The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 8 12:51 PM
          In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
          Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
          Tom C.

          >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>