Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
      What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
      between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
        The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

        Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

        The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
        Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
        Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
        copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
        even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

        I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
        used.

        Harry

        What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
        between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker

        Civil
        history

        Civil
        battles

        Civil

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
          The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
            In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
            Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
            Tom C.

            >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>