Re: [TalkAntietam] Blue Ridge Mountains...or not

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
      I believe the aqccount by Joe is correct. If you go to Weverton, the
      base of South Mountain and look acrossthe river there is only Short
      Hill. OTOH, if you go to Sandy Hook and look across you see Loudoun
      Hts. which extends southward as the Blue Ridge. I think this is correct
      but am away from maps and home right now.

      >>> recker@... 06/30/05 8:41 AM >>>
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
        What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
        between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
          The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

          Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

          The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
          Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
          Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
          copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
          even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

          I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
          used.

          Harry

          What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
          between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

          Stephen Recker

          Civil
          history

          Civil
          battles

          Civil

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
            The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
              In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
              Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
              Tom C.

              >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>