Re: [TalkAntietam] Blue Ridge Mountains...or not

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
      Stephen,

      Actually CW terminology was not as precise as we use today. However, South
      Mountain in MD is indeed considered part of the Blue Ridge, with Elk Ridge
      more of an extension of the Blue Ridge.

      Tom Clemens might be able to help you sort this out better, as he lives
      nearby.

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
        I believe the aqccount by Joe is correct. If you go to Weverton, the
        base of South Mountain and look acrossthe river there is only Short
        Hill. OTOH, if you go to Sandy Hook and look across you see Loudoun
        Hts. which extends southward as the Blue Ridge. I think this is correct
        but am away from maps and home right now.

        >>> recker@... 06/30/05 8:41 AM >>>
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 8 9:31 AM
          What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
          between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

          Stephen Recker
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 8 9:39 AM
            The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

            Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

            The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
            Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
            Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
            copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
            even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

            I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
            used.

            Harry

            What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
            between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker

            Civil
            history

            Civil
            battles

            Civil

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

            _____

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 8 12:25 PM
              The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 8 12:51 PM
                In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
                Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
                Tom C.

                >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>