Re: [TalkAntietam] Blue Ridge Mountains...or not

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
      Dear Stephen,

      Both could be correct.

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Stephen Recker" <recker@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:41 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Blue Ridge Mountains...or not

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
        Dear Gerry,

        i was afraid you would say something like that!

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
          Stephen,

          Actually CW terminology was not as precise as we use today. However, South
          Mountain in MD is indeed considered part of the Blue Ridge, with Elk Ridge
          more of an extension of the Blue Ridge.

          Tom Clemens might be able to help you sort this out better, as he lives
          nearby.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
            I believe the aqccount by Joe is correct. If you go to Weverton, the
            base of South Mountain and look acrossthe river there is only Short
            Hill. OTOH, if you go to Sandy Hook and look across you see Loudoun
            Hts. which extends southward as the Blue Ridge. I think this is correct
            but am away from maps and home right now.

            >>> recker@... 06/30/05 8:41 AM >>>
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
              What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
              between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

              Stephen Recker
            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
                The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

                Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

                The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
                Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
                Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
                copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
                even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

                I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
                used.

                Harry

                What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
                between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                Stephen Recker

                Civil
                history

                Civil
                battles

                Civil

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                _____

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
                  The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
                    In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
                    Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
                    Tom C.

                    >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>