Blue Ridge Mountains...or not

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
      Last night I was reading "Taken at the Flood" and came across a
      sentence that has me very confused. This is from p. 226.

      'He stopped short of Vestal Gap in the Blue Ridge (Elk Ridge in
      Maryland) and the Short Hills (South Mountain in Maryland).'

      Now, I have always heard that South Mountain was the northern extension
      of the Blue Ridge. In McLaw's report, OR19, p852, he refers to Elk
      Ridge by name and refers to South Mountain as the Blue Ridge. Looking
      at a map, though, it looks like I agree with Joseph Harsh.

      Comments? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
        Dear Stephen,

        Both could be correct.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
          Dear Gerry,

          i was afraid you would say something like that!

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
            Stephen,

            Actually CW terminology was not as precise as we use today. However, South
            Mountain in MD is indeed considered part of the Blue Ridge, with Elk Ridge
            more of an extension of the Blue Ridge.

            Tom Clemens might be able to help you sort this out better, as he lives
            nearby.

            Very respectfully,
            G E "Gerry" Mayers
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
              I believe the aqccount by Joe is correct. If you go to Weverton, the
              base of South Mountain and look acrossthe river there is only Short
              Hill. OTOH, if you go to Sandy Hook and look across you see Loudoun
              Hts. which extends southward as the Blue Ridge. I think this is correct
              but am away from maps and home right now.

              >>> recker@... 06/30/05 8:41 AM >>>
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 8 9:31 AM
                What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
                between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                Stephen Recker
              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 8 9:39 AM
                  The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

                  Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

                  The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
                  Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
                  Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
                  copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
                  even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

                  I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
                  used.

                  Harry

                  What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
                  between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker

                  Civil
                  history

                  Civil
                  battles

                  Civil

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                  _____

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 8 12:25 PM
                    The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 8 12:51 PM
                      In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
                      Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
                      Tom C.

                      >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>