Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: New Hampshire officials want battlefield monument

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
      The reason there is a moratorium to begin with was to put a stop to
      political monuments being placed on these battlefields. Specifically it was
      the Angle at Gettysburg that were placed in the wrong place and in direct
      violation of the rules created for monument placement at Gettysburg by the
      veterans who fought there. In the case of the North Carolina monument, it
      also tells a story that is a complete fiction. They are monuments to modern
      day politics more than anything connected to the battle, placed by
      politicians who used the campaigns to place them there for political gain.

      As for not opening a flood of monuments, there are as far as I know 15 new
      monuments, mostly from southern groups, currently proposed for Antietam
      alone if this goes through. I am sure that there are others that have not
      gone public. If that isn't a flood, I don't know what is. You know once we
      start seeing groups getting a monument put up for their favorite regiment at
      Antietam, every reenactment group is going to want one for their regiment
      and of course they'll get their congressman to support it because it's good
      for grabbing votes.

      Brian

      > I don't reply that much but as an avid civil war buff I like to listen to
      what others say. I think being against the monuments may be an over
      reation. I'm not to sure it will open any flood walls and have monuments
      pop up all over the place. He has one point and that is most people that
      visit a battle field look at the monuments for reference, information and a
      better understanding. These are the same people that donate lots of money
      for battlefield preservation. Without their support alot of historic turf
      would be now paved. I know I will get a lot of negative feedback but each
      has their opinion so let it fly.

      Service.

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
        Last night I was reading "Taken at the Flood" and came across a
        sentence that has me very confused. This is from p. 226.

        'He stopped short of Vestal Gap in the Blue Ridge (Elk Ridge in
        Maryland) and the Short Hills (South Mountain in Maryland).'

        Now, I have always heard that South Mountain was the northern extension
        of the Blue Ridge. In McLaw's report, OR19, p852, he refers to Elk
        Ridge by name and refers to South Mountain as the Blue Ridge. Looking
        at a map, though, it looks like I agree with Joseph Harsh.

        Comments? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
          Dear Stephen,

          Both could be correct.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
            Dear Gerry,

            i was afraid you would say something like that!

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
              Stephen,

              Actually CW terminology was not as precise as we use today. However, South
              Mountain in MD is indeed considered part of the Blue Ridge, with Elk Ridge
              more of an extension of the Blue Ridge.

              Tom Clemens might be able to help you sort this out better, as he lives
              nearby.

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                I believe the aqccount by Joe is correct. If you go to Weverton, the
                base of South Mountain and look acrossthe river there is only Short
                Hill. OTOH, if you go to Sandy Hook and look across you see Loudoun
                Hts. which extends southward as the Blue Ridge. I think this is correct
                but am away from maps and home right now.

                >>> recker@... 06/30/05 8:41 AM >>>
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 8 9:31 AM
                  What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
                  between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker
                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 8 9:39 AM
                    The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

                    Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

                    The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
                    Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
                    Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
                    copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
                    even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

                    I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
                    used.

                    Harry

                    What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
                    between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                    Stephen Recker

                    Civil
                    history

                    Civil
                    battles

                    Civil

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                    _____

                  • richard@rcroker.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 8 12:25 PM
                      The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 8 12:51 PM
                        In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
                        Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
                        Tom C.

                        >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>