Re: [TalkAntietam] Fence Survives Artillery on HagerstownPike?

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 24, 2005
      Dear Tom,

      IIRC, the post and rail fences were built very sturdily to keep livestock
      from wandering off the fields onto the Turnpike, no?

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 24, 2005
        Exactly.
        Tom

        >>> gerry1952@... 06/24/05 2:34 PM >>>
      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 24, 2005
          The Gibbon story tells about the general lowering the elevation so that the
          rounds would hit the ground and take dirt and "splinters" from the fence
          rails with them.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
            New Hampshire officials want battlefield monument

            by ADAM BEHSUDI and TARA REILLY

            SHARPSBURG

            adamb@...

            tarar@...

            A federal push to erect a memorial at Antietam National Battlefield
            honoring fallen New Hampshire Civil War soldiers took a step forward
            Monday after the U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation
            supporting the action.

            U.S. Rep. Jeb Bradley, R-N.H., introduced House Resolution 1084 in
            March backing the monument to honor the officers and enlisted men of
            the Fifth, Sixth and Ninth New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry regiments
            and the first New Hampshire Light Artillery Battery.

            Bradley and other New Hampshire legislators are challenging a
            moratorium that has blocked new monuments at the battlefield since 1992.

            He said Monday in a written statement that he was pleased the
            legislation passed in the House.

            "Although there are over 400 monuments, tablets and markers at the
            historic site, New Hampshire does not have a marker commemorating the
            bravery of our fallen heroes.

            "Antietam was one of the deadliest battles in American history, and
            this memorial will appropriately honor the sacrifices of our New
            Hampshire soldiers," Bradley said.

            Stephanie DuBois, Bradley's press secretary, said by phone Monday that
            the monument is estimated to cost about $225,000, but that price could
            be higher. She said the memorial would be paid for by private donations
            and that no federal tax dollars would be spent on the marker.

            But with 104 monuments already on the battlefield, the battlefield's
            superintendent said park officials don't want any more.

            "Antietam is probably the best preserved battlefield in the United
            States," said John Howard, park superintendent.

            Sen. Bob Letourneau, chairman of New Hampshire's Civil War Commission,
            began his campaign to erect a monument on the battlefield in 1999.

            The moratorium, imposed in 1992 as part of the Antietam National
            Battlefield's management plan, has not allowed the installation of any
            new monuments. The only exception was a monument approved prior to the
            start of the moratorium.

            With the backing of his state's U.S. representatives, Letourneau hopes
            to overcome the moratorium with an act of Congress.

            "Is grass more important than a monument that stands there depicting a
            couple of soldiers and small lettering on granite?" Letourneau asked.
            "I think not."

            There are those, however, that do think the grass is more important.

            "We just don't think it's necessary," said Tom Clemens, president of
            Save Historic Antietam, a group that works closely with the park
            service in preservation efforts. "The battlefield itself is a memorial
            and doesn't need recognition from 21st-century people."

            Clemens and Howard fear that if a bill is passed in Congress it will
            set a precedent for other states to also install monuments.

            Gettysburg has more than 1,400 monuments, Clemens said. That number
            includes interpretive plaques.

            Clemens said most of the existing monuments in Antietam were placed by
            actual veterans of the battle in the late 1800s and early 1900s. He
            said placing a monument on the battlefield would be "destructive of the
            original intent of the veterans."

            Howard said 17 states do not have monuments on the battlefield.

            "It's got to do with numbers rather than with who deserves a monument
            and who doesn't deserve a monument," he said.

            Howard and Clemens said New Hampshire can recognize the sacrifice of
            their soldiers by preserving the ground on which they died. The battle
            was the single bloodiest day of the Civil War, with 23,000 soldiers
            killed, wounded or missing.

            "We don't have to do that in bronze and marble and granite," said
            Clemens, noting the various preservation projects the New Hampshire
            Civil War Commission could fund with their money.

            Letourneau said he is appreciative of efforts to preserve the
            battlefield but feels strongly about the need for New Hampshire to
            recognize the three infantry regiments and one artillery battalion that
            were sent to fight.

            "I don't look at the grass. I don't look at the trees," Letourneau said
            about visiting battlefields. "I look at the monuments."
          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
              Moron.

              "I don't look at the grass. I don't look at the trees," Letourneau said
              about visiting battlefields. "I look at the monuments."

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

              _____

            • Brian Downey
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                > "I don't look at the grass. I don't look at the trees," Letourneau
                > said about visiting battlefields. "I look at the monuments."

                This is just sad. In so many ways.

                [opinion, fwiw]
                What's seems likely is that he and the other NH politicians are not
                really thinking of the Boys of 1862 - just the voters of today. Their
                jobs, I suppose ...
              • 128thpa@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                  Boy, does that say it all!! Ok, what can we do next?
                  Paula

                  Moron.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                    There are several forces in the works here. The first is the political
                    forces behind this. By that I mean it sounds great on the campaign trail to
                    say you helped build a monument to our fallen soldiers and sounds really bad
                    to say you voted against a monument. So there is a lot of pressure to vote
                    for this simply so it can't be used as ammunition against you come election
                    time. This is likely why my local representative will vote for it because he
                    will likely be running against a Gulf War veteran and doesn't want to hand
                    him any ammunition.

                    There are also some groups who feel that there are not enough Confederate
                    monuments on the Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields. I lurk on a
                    discussion group that can be best described as a lost cause group. They want
                    this to pass through to pave the way for monuments to their favorite
                    Confederate regiment, general or whatever that they feel has been missing
                    all these years. There are already a number of monument ideas in the works
                    if this goes through, created from my understanding by the same artist set
                    to do the New Hampshire monument. I wonder how much money he will make if
                    all these monuments get approved?

                    I think the first thing to expect from my understanding if the New Hampshire
                    monument goes through are proposals for statues to Lee and Jackson at
                    Antietam. I have also heard that there is a group wanting either individual
                    monuments or a single monument to the Confederate regiments at the Sunken
                    Road.

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                      Dear Brian,

                      IF there be support for a single monument at the Sunken Road for all the CSA
                      units which fought there, then to be fair, there should be also a single
                      monument to all the Union units who fought there. However, since there are
                      already monuments to the various Union units, I doubt such a thing will
                      happen.

                      Very respectfully,
                      G E "Gerry" Mayers
                      Confederate Signal Corps,
                      Longstreet's Corps

                      > There are several forces in the works here. The first is the political
                      > forces behind this. By that I mean it sounds great on the campaign trail
                      > say you helped build a monument to our fallen soldiers and sounds really
                      > bad
                      > to say you voted against a monument. So there is a lot of pressure to vote
                      > for this simply so it can't be used as ammunition against you come
                      > election
                      > time. This is likely why my local representative will vote for it because
                      > he
                      > will likely be running against a Gulf War veteran and doesn't want to hand
                      > him any ammunition.
                      >
                      > There are also some groups who feel that there are not enough Confederate
                      > monuments on the Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields. I lurk on a
                      > discussion group that can be best described as a lost cause group. They
                      > want
                      > this to pass through to pave the way for monuments to their favorite
                      > Confederate regiment, general or whatever that they feel has been missing
                      > all these years. There are already a number of monument ideas in the works
                      > if this goes through, created from my understanding by the same artist set
                      > to do the New Hampshire monument. I wonder how much money he will make if
                      > all these monuments get approved?
                      >
                      > I think the first thing to expect from my understanding if the New
                      > Hampshire
                      > monument goes through are proposals for statues to Lee and Jackson at
                      > Antietam. I have also heard that there is a group wanting either
                      > individual
                      > monuments or a single monument to the Confederate regiments at the Sunken
                      > Road.
                      >
                      > Brian
                      >
                      >> What's seems likely is that he and the other NH politicians are not
                      >> really thinking of the Boys of 1862 - just the voters of today. Their
                      >> jobs, I suppose ...
                      >>

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • robert blama
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                        I don't reply that much but as an avid civil war buff I like to listen to what others say. I think being against the monuments may be an over reation. I'm not to sure it will open any flood walls and have monuments pop up all over the place. He has one point and that is most people that visit a battle field look at the monuments for reference, information and a better understanding. These are the same people that donate lots of money for battlefield preservation. Without their support alot of historic turf would be now paved. I know I will get a lot of negative feedback but each has their opinion so let it fly.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                          I've been giving tours at Antietam lately and I hear a lot of people
                          specifically marvel at how wonderful it is to see a pristine
                          battlefield without modern obstructions. I have yet to hear one person
                          lament that there are too few monuments.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                            Brian,
                            Exactly, he cannot see the forest for the trees.
                            Tom

                            >>> bdowney@... 06/28/05 12:47 PM >>>
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                              I can only tell you that John Howard has a file folder of groups wanting
                              monuments, at least 15 at present, who now will have a precedent. I
                              understand your point, but do not agree with it. How many monuments are
                              at Normandy? Or is it important tot see what those brave soldiers
                              faced? Let the restored/preserved be the monument!
                              Tom Clemens

                              >>> civilwar1@... 06/28/05 6:54 PM >>>
                            • Brian Morris
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                                The reason there is a moratorium to begin with was to put a stop to
                                political monuments being placed on these battlefields. Specifically it was
                                the Angle at Gettysburg that were placed in the wrong place and in direct
                                violation of the rules created for monument placement at Gettysburg by the
                                veterans who fought there. In the case of the North Carolina monument, it
                                also tells a story that is a complete fiction. They are monuments to modern
                                day politics more than anything connected to the battle, placed by
                                politicians who used the campaigns to place them there for political gain.

                                As for not opening a flood of monuments, there are as far as I know 15 new
                                monuments, mostly from southern groups, currently proposed for Antietam
                                alone if this goes through. I am sure that there are others that have not
                                gone public. If that isn't a flood, I don't know what is. You know once we
                                start seeing groups getting a monument put up for their favorite regiment at
                                Antietam, every reenactment group is going to want one for their regiment
                                and of course they'll get their congressman to support it because it's good
                                for grabbing votes.

                                Brian

                                > I don't reply that much but as an avid civil war buff I like to listen to
                                what others say. I think being against the monuments may be an over
                                reation. I'm not to sure it will open any flood walls and have monuments
                                pop up all over the place. He has one point and that is most people that
                                visit a battle field look at the monuments for reference, information and a
                                better understanding. These are the same people that donate lots of money
                                for battlefield preservation. Without their support alot of historic turf
                                would be now paved. I know I will get a lot of negative feedback but each
                                has their opinion so let it fly.

                                Service.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                                  Last night I was reading "Taken at the Flood" and came across a
                                  sentence that has me very confused. This is from p. 226.

                                  'He stopped short of Vestal Gap in the Blue Ridge (Elk Ridge in
                                  Maryland) and the Short Hills (South Mountain in Maryland).'

                                  Now, I have always heard that South Mountain was the northern extension
                                  of the Blue Ridge. In McLaw's report, OR19, p852, he refers to Elk
                                  Ridge by name and refers to South Mountain as the Blue Ridge. Looking
                                  at a map, though, it looks like I agree with Joseph Harsh.

                                  Comments? Thanks.

                                  Stephen Recker
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                                    Dear Stephen,

                                    Both could be correct.

                                    Very respectfully,
                                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                                    Longstreet's Corps

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                                      Dear Gerry,

                                      i was afraid you would say something like that!

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                                        Stephen,

                                        Actually CW terminology was not as precise as we use today. However, South
                                        Mountain in MD is indeed considered part of the Blue Ridge, with Elk Ridge
                                        more of an extension of the Blue Ridge.

                                        Tom Clemens might be able to help you sort this out better, as he lives
                                        nearby.

                                        Very respectfully,
                                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                                        Longstreet's Corps

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                                          I believe the aqccount by Joe is correct. If you go to Weverton, the
                                          base of South Mountain and look acrossthe river there is only Short
                                          Hill. OTOH, if you go to Sandy Hook and look across you see Loudoun
                                          Hts. which extends southward as the Blue Ridge. I think this is correct
                                          but am away from maps and home right now.

                                          >>> recker@... 06/30/05 8:41 AM >>>
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
                                            What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
                                            between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                                            Stephen Recker
                                          • Harry Smeltzer
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
                                              The best source would be the McClellan papers on microfilm.

                                              Apparently, the papers themselves have become hopelessly disordered.

                                              The selected (keep in mind, it is selected) correspondence in "The Civil War
                                              Paper of George B.McClellan" are not all copied from original documents.
                                              Much of the personal correspondence between the general and his wife are
                                              copied from notes taken by McClellan regarding those letters, and sometimes
                                              even notes of McClellan's notes taken by his daughter.

                                              I would check the newer works by Rafuse and Beatie for the sources they
                                              used.

                                              Harry

                                              What would be the best source for an overview of the correspondence
                                              between Lincoln and McClellan during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                                              Stephen Recker

                                              Civil
                                              history

                                              Civil
                                              battles

                                              Civil

                                              _____

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
                                                The Civil War Papers of Geo. Brinton McClellan editied by Steven W. Sears

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 8, 2005
                                                  In addition to Harry's suggestions, look at Basler's "Collected Works of
                                                  Abraham lincoln and Vol. 19 pt. 2 of the ORs, which has correspondence.
                                                  Tom C.

                                                  >>> hjs21@... 07/08/05 12:39 PM >>>