RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: US Civil War Factbook

  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 12, 2001
      >Let me see. What changed during the day of the 17th. Let's start with
      >10,000 casualties and go from there.

      Let me see. I guess all the Yankee bullets missed their marks.

      Where was this paralyzing lack of ammo in all of our other discussions? Has
      Dr. Harsh written another book?
    • James Rose
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 12, 2001

        Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine) wrote:
        Let me see.  What changed during the day of the 17th.  Let's start with
        10,000 casualties and go from there.

        Let me see. I guess all the Yankee bullets missed their marks.
        You do realize that McClellan had no real idea of how badly the Confederates were hurt during the battle.  He could make an educated guess, but that is it.  Basically what you are saying sounds like a paraphrase from a famous politician that goes something like this "Yes your troops are hurt, but so are they.  You are all hurt together."  McClellan understood something that apparently a lot of people miss.  It is easier to defend than it is to attack.  So on the 18th McClellan would only be able to attack with part of his army, but Lee would be able to defend with his entire army.

        Where was this paralyzing lack of ammo in all of our other discussions? Has
        Dr. Harsh written another book?

        Have you read "Taken at the Flood" yet?  As for our other discussions, this is the first time I've been on these groups that I have joined in on a discussion of why McClellan didn't attack on the 18th.  That is why I've never mentioned it.  I've also never said that the ammo situation was "paralyzing".  That word has connotations that do not fit in this instance.  I said that he was critically short of ammo.  Sears acknowledges that lack of Parrot rounds even as he dismisses it as meaningless.  I think that the loss of the 20lb Parrots is far from meaningless.  They represented over 10% of the artillery pieces, and as the largest caliber they probably represented a higher percentage in actual combat power.  Considering that artillery is the one branch that McClellan knows is superior in all respects to the Confederates, such a loss is far from trivial.

        Jim Rose