Re: [TalkAntietam] Medals of Honor @ Antietam

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
      Here's a website that lists them.
      http://www.medalofhonor.com/AntietamRecipients.htm

      Brian

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
        My favs....

        Johnny Cook, Battery B, 4th US. He's a major character in TMMF and deserved
        his MoH I think.

        Cpl Orth, however, simply FOUND a regimental flag on a quiet field and
        picked it up and turned it in. "Here's you medal."

        There was a purge of these types from the roles well after the fact.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
          Excellent. Thanks.

          Stephen

          On Friday, June 10, 2005, at 09:54 AM, Brian Morris wrote:

          > Ok, my first response seems to have vanished in the unknown reaches of
          > the
          > internet. Apologies if it shows up again.
          >
          > Here's a website that lists them.
          > http://www.medalofhonor.com/AntietamRecipients.htm
          >
          > Brian

        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
            Hi Steve, folks

            I think the chart cited below misses one - I believe there were 21 not
            20. The missing man is Pvt. John Johnson, Company D, 2d Wisconsin
            Infantry - perhaps he's missed or not included because his citation
            points to his actions at both Antietam and Fredericksburg.

            My list of MoH recipents at/for Antietam is here:
            http://aotw.org/moh.php?citation_id=all

            John Johnson's citation here: http://aotw.org/moh.php?citation_id=114

            More background on the medal and Antietam here:
            http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=75

            BTW, the ANB website pages here: http://www.nps.gov/anti/MOH2.htm
            and here: http://www.nps.gov/anti/MOH.htm - seem to have been copied
            from www.medalofhonor.com - I hope that's legit :)