Re: [TalkAntietam] Crossed quills

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 10:45 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Crossed quills

      > Richard,
      >
      > Do you have an illustration of it? Perhaps Lord might have something about
      > it in one of his CW Encyclopedias?
      >
      > Very respectfully,
      > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > Confederate Signal Corps,
      > Longstreet's Corps

      Antietam

      Service.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
        How many Medals of Honor were awarded at Antietam? Thanks.

        Stephen Recker
      • Brian Morris
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
          Here's a website that lists them.
          http://www.medalofhonor.com/AntietamRecipients.htm

          Brian

          > How many Medals of Honor were awarded at Antietam? Thanks.
          >
          > Stephen Recker
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Brian Morris
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
            Ok, my first response seems to have vanished in the unknown reaches of the
            internet. Apologies if it shows up again.

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
              My favs....

              Johnny Cook, Battery B, 4th US. He's a major character in TMMF and deserved
              his MoH I think.

              Cpl Orth, however, simply FOUND a regimental flag on a quiet field and
              picked it up and turned it in. "Here's you medal."

              There was a purge of these types from the roles well after the fact.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
                Excellent. Thanks.

                Stephen

                On Friday, June 10, 2005, at 09:54 AM, Brian Morris wrote:

                > Ok, my first response seems to have vanished in the unknown reaches of
                > the
                > internet. Apologies if it shows up again.
                >
                > Here's a website that lists them.
                > http://www.medalofhonor.com/AntietamRecipients.htm
                >
                > Brian

              • Brian Downey
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
                  Hi Steve, folks

                  I think the chart cited below misses one - I believe there were 21 not
                  20. The missing man is Pvt. John Johnson, Company D, 2d Wisconsin
                  Infantry - perhaps he's missed or not included because his citation
                  points to his actions at both Antietam and Fredericksburg.

                  My list of MoH recipents at/for Antietam is here:
                  http://aotw.org/moh.php?citation_id=all

                  John Johnson's citation here: http://aotw.org/moh.php?citation_id=114

                  More background on the medal and Antietam here:
                  http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=75

                  BTW, the ANB website pages here: http://www.nps.gov/anti/MOH2.htm
                  and here: http://www.nps.gov/anti/MOH.htm - seem to have been copied
                  from www.medalofhonor.com - I hope that's legit :)