Crossed quills

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2005
      Does anyone know the meaning of a CW pin that is crossed quills over a
      shield? AG maybe?

      Richard
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2005
        Richard,

        Do you have an illustration of it? Perhaps Lord might have something about
        it in one of his CW Encyclopedias?

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
          > Do you have an illustration of it? Perhaps Lord might have something about
          > it in one of his CW Encyclopedias?
          >
          > Very respectfully,
          > G E "Gerry" Mayers
          > Confederate Signal Corps,
          > Longstreet's Corps

          Service.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
            How many Medals of Honor were awarded at Antietam? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
          • Brian Morris
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
              Here's a website that lists them.
              http://www.medalofhonor.com/AntietamRecipients.htm

              Brian

              > How many Medals of Honor were awarded at Antietam? Thanks.
              >
              > Stephen Recker
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
                Ok, my first response seems to have vanished in the unknown reaches of the
                internet. Apologies if it shows up again.

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
                  My favs....

                  Johnny Cook, Battery B, 4th US. He's a major character in TMMF and deserved
                  his MoH I think.

                  Cpl Orth, however, simply FOUND a regimental flag on a quiet field and
                  picked it up and turned it in. "Here's you medal."

                  There was a purge of these types from the roles well after the fact.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
                    Excellent. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    On Friday, June 10, 2005, at 09:54 AM, Brian Morris wrote:

                    > Ok, my first response seems to have vanished in the unknown reaches of
                    > the
                    > internet. Apologies if it shows up again.
                    >
                    > Here's a website that lists them.
                    > http://www.medalofhonor.com/AntietamRecipients.htm
                    >
                    > Brian

                  • Brian Downey
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 10, 2005
                      Hi Steve, folks

                      I think the chart cited below misses one - I believe there were 21 not
                      20. The missing man is Pvt. John Johnson, Company D, 2d Wisconsin
                      Infantry - perhaps he's missed or not included because his citation
                      points to his actions at both Antietam and Fredericksburg.

                      My list of MoH recipents at/for Antietam is here:
                      http://aotw.org/moh.php?citation_id=all

                      John Johnson's citation here: http://aotw.org/moh.php?citation_id=114

                      More background on the medal and Antietam here:
                      http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=75

                      BTW, the ANB website pages here: http://www.nps.gov/anti/MOH2.htm
                      and here: http://www.nps.gov/anti/MOH.htm - seem to have been copied
                      from www.medalofhonor.com - I hope that's legit :)