Re: [TalkAntietam] Kingsbury's father-in-law?

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      Tom Shay wrote:

      >I found the source that states Kingsbury's wife was daughter of Zachary
      > Taylor:
      >
      > In his book "Antietam Revealed", Dennis Frye states on page 118 (item
      > #1209)
      > that "Kingsbury was married to a daughter of former president and Mexican
      > War
      > hero Zachary Taylor".
      >
      > On a website, I found a listing of President Taylor's daughters as: Ann
      > Mackall, Sarah Knox, Mary Elizabeth. Therefore I am still assuming that
      > Eva Taylor
      > was the daughter of Lt Colonel Joseph P. Taylor.

      I found this on the Military Images website:

      "On its face, his decision to remain in the Army may appear simple, but
      family ties to the South must have caused him some anxiety. Besides Buckner,
      soon to become a prominent Confederate general and who was married to his
      older sister, Kingsbury himself was engaged to Eva Taylor, of Kentucky, the
      daughter of Lieutenant Colonel Joseph P. Taylor. Taylor, assistant
      commissary general of the U.S. Army, had two army officer sons who remained
      loyal to the Union, but another daughter was married to David R. Jones, a
      Confederate officer. "

      Other interesting fact from this site:

      "Kingsbury's body was taken to Washington, D.C., where it was laid to rest
      at Oak Hill Cemetery. In December his widow Eva gave birth to a son, Henry,
      Jr. Kingsbury was mourned by many, a West Point classmate writing, "I cannot
      tell you how much we have felt about Kingsbury's death."

      Teej
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        TJ;

        In either Priest's book on Antietam or in Frassanito's book on Antietam
        photographs, there is a picture of Kingsbury.

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
          Jeeze -- where were you guys when I was writing my book? You could have
          shaved about two years off of my research time!

          Richard
          > In either Priest's book on Antietam or in Frassanito's book on Antietam
          > photographs, there is a picture of Kingsbury.
          >
          > Very respectfully,
          > G E "Gerry" Mayers
          > Confederate Signal Corps,
          > Longstreet's Corps

          Service.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
            Richard,

            You should have been part of this group three years ago... It would have
            helped......

            Very respectfully,
            G E "Gerry" Mayers
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            > Jeeze -- where were you guys when I was writing my book? You could have
            > shaved about two years off of my research time!
            >
            > Richard

          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
              He's not in Frassanito, I've just been in it, and checked. Could be
              in Priest. His face is in the Time/Life volume on Antietam, for sure.
              You can see him here:

              http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=218

              Brian

              Service.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
                Anybody know what is going on at the Harpers Ferry CW Round Table
                tomorrow night? Thanks.

                Stephen Recker