Kingsbury's father-in-law?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      I found the source that states Kingsbury's wife was daughter of Zachary
      Taylor:

      In his book "Antietam Revealed", Dennis Frye states on page 118 (item #1209)
      that "Kingsbury was married to a daughter of former president and Mexican War
      hero Zachary Taylor".

      On a website, I found a listing of President Taylor's daughters as: Ann
      Mackall, Sarah Knox, Mary Elizabeth. Therefore I am still assuming that Eva Taylor
      was the daughter of Lt Colonel Joseph P. Taylor.

      Joseph Taylor, assistant commissary general of the U.S. Army, had two army
      officer sons who remained loyal to the Union, but another daughter was married
      to David R. Jones (Confederate officer).

      Tom Shay - tomorrow (Friday) I'll be on Big Round Top at 10 AM with Lew Gage
      giving a tour for GDG Muster

    • Teej Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        Tom Shay wrote:

        >I found the source that states Kingsbury's wife was daughter of Zachary
        > Taylor:
        >
        > In his book "Antietam Revealed", Dennis Frye states on page 118 (item
        > #1209)
        > that "Kingsbury was married to a daughter of former president and Mexican
        > War
        > hero Zachary Taylor".
        >
        > On a website, I found a listing of President Taylor's daughters as: Ann
        > Mackall, Sarah Knox, Mary Elizabeth. Therefore I am still assuming that
        > Eva Taylor
        > was the daughter of Lt Colonel Joseph P. Taylor.

        I found this on the Military Images website:

        "On its face, his decision to remain in the Army may appear simple, but
        family ties to the South must have caused him some anxiety. Besides Buckner,
        soon to become a prominent Confederate general and who was married to his
        older sister, Kingsbury himself was engaged to Eva Taylor, of Kentucky, the
        daughter of Lieutenant Colonel Joseph P. Taylor. Taylor, assistant
        commissary general of the U.S. Army, had two army officer sons who remained
        loyal to the Union, but another daughter was married to David R. Jones, a
        Confederate officer. "

        Other interesting fact from this site:

        "Kingsbury's body was taken to Washington, D.C., where it was laid to rest
        at Oak Hill Cemetery. In December his widow Eva gave birth to a son, Henry,
        Jr. Kingsbury was mourned by many, a West Point classmate writing, "I cannot
        tell you how much we have felt about Kingsbury's death."

        Teej
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          TJ;

          In either Priest's book on Antietam or in Frassanito's book on Antietam
          photographs, there is a picture of Kingsbury.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
            Jeeze -- where were you guys when I was writing my book? You could have
            shaved about two years off of my research time!

            Richard
            > In either Priest's book on Antietam or in Frassanito's book on Antietam
            > photographs, there is a picture of Kingsbury.
            >
            > Very respectfully,
            > G E "Gerry" Mayers
            > Confederate Signal Corps,
            > Longstreet's Corps

            Service.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
              Richard,

              You should have been part of this group three years ago... It would have
              helped......

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              > Jeeze -- where were you guys when I was writing my book? You could have
              > shaved about two years off of my research time!
              >
              > Richard

            • Brian Downey
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
                He's not in Frassanito, I've just been in it, and checked. Could be
                in Priest. His face is in the Time/Life volume on Antietam, for sure.
                You can see him here:

                http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=218

                Brian

                Service.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
                  Anybody know what is going on at the Harpers Ferry CW Round Table
                  tomorrow night? Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker