Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Jones/Kingsbury

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 8:17 AM
      I'm sure one of you can help me out.

      I'm doing a TV interview next week and they want me to talk about
      interpersonal relationships. Does anyone know specifically how Neighbor
      Jones and Geo. Kingsbury were brothers-in-law. Down south at least, my
      wife's sister's husband is my brother-in-law as well.

      Richard Croker

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 8:26 AM
        Richard,
        From "They Lie Forgotten" Kingsbury married Eva Taylor 12/4/1861. She
        was from Kentucky and her sister Rebecca was married to David R. Jones,
        who was a CS General and commanded the troops opposing Kingsbury at the
        Lower Bridge. Thus Jones was Kingbury's wife's brother in law.
        Hope this helps.
        Tom

        >>> richard@... 06/02/05 11:17 AM >>>
      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 8:51 AM
          Tom -- you are a GOD!

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2 9:15 AM
            Here are some other notes on Kingsbury regarding family ties:

            When Kingsbury's father died, Simon B. Buckner and close friend Ambrose Burnside became Henry's legal guardians.

            Buckner became a Confederate general and was married to Kingsbury's older sister.

            Kingsbury married Eva Taylor (of Kentucky) in December 1861. She was the daughter of Lt Colonel Joseph P. Taylor. His other daughter married David R. Jones.

            Kingsbury was mortally wounded at Antietam on Sept 17, but lingered until late the following day. In addition to his friend Burnside, two family members were at Antietam when he died, brothers-in-law Lt Colonel Joseph Taylor, II Corps, and Brigadier General David R. Jones, commanding a division in Lee's army.

            By coincidence the brigade defending Rohrbach Bridge was part of Jones' Division. Jones became distraught upon learning that his troops had been responsible for his own brother-in-law. Jones never got over the shock, suffering a heart attack a month later, and dying in January 1863 at the age of 39.

            Kingsbury's body was taken to Washington, D.C., where it was laid to rest at Oak Hill Cemetery. In December his widow Eva gave birth to a son, Henry, Jr.

            I recall references to Eva Taylor as being a descendent of President Zachary Taylor. Can anyone confirm?