Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: New Monuments

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      I spoke with my Congressman a few hours ago. He unfortunately has not been
      contacted by anyone besides myself on this matter, nor did he know much in
      the way of the bill itself. We had a good conversation about historic
      preservation.

      My concern is that people interested in civil war preservation are not aware
      of this proposal and that congressmen in western states will simply
      rubberstamp this bill due to the fact that there is less civil war interest
      in the western states for obvious reasons. So I encourage our members in the
      west especially to make an effort to contact their representatives as I
      doubt representatives in states such as Hawaii and Oregon have as many civil
      war buffs in their constituency.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
        Thanks again, very helpful. One thing that may help is local courtesy.
        If we can persuade the local Congressman, Roscoe Bartlett, to oppose it
        then other Congressmen are less likely to want to ram it through over
        his vote. I have written to him, but have not heard back yet.

        >>> ironbrigade@... 06/01/05 4:52 PM >>>
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
          This may be too late for people to take advantage of, but later today,
          Thursday June 2, Roscoe Bartlett is having a Congressional Open Door
          time from 10am until noon. You can call 1-888-863-4581 or 301-797-6043
          to get an appointment. Hopefully one of us can get in there.

          Stephen Recker

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
            Steve,
            Where?

            >>> recker@... 06/02/05 12:05 AM >>>
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
              Sorry for not putting the address in there. Sixth District
              Congressional office, 11377 Robinwood Drive. Right across from you at
              the college there. I hope you were able to make it. I don't think it
              was a drop in thing, though.

              Stephen

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                I've sent an email to my Congressman and posted Tom Clemens' notice onto my CWRT webpage. If indeed I get a reply from my email, I will let you know.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                  No, I was busy here, too bad. Let's hope he hasthe guts to do the right
                  thing.

                  >>> recker@... 06/02/05 2:07 PM >>>