Re: New Monuments

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      Tom, friends,

      I've posted the SHAF announcement on AotW along with some links to
      help folks track the bills in Congress, contact their congresspersons,
      and see responses so far (http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=373).
      I found interesting testimony in opposition to the legislation from an
      associate director of the Park Service - check it out - well stated,
      reasoned ideas.

      I've voiced my objections to my Reps also.

      Brian
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
        Your eloquence and support of the battlefields are much appreciated.
        Feel free to post where you like.
        Tom

        >>> ironbrigade@... 06/01/05 2:42 AM >>>
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
          Brian,
          I could not get to your link, and am not sure i am receiving AOTW, but
          appreciate the posting. Yes, the NPS does oppose the bill.

          >>> bdowney@... 06/01/05 10:16 AM >>>
        • Brian Morris
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
            I contacted my local congressman Dennis Moore and was asked whom he should
            contact for more information. I gave him your e-mail address Tom so
            hopefully he will be contacting you.

            Brian

            > Your eloquence and support of the battlefields are much appreciated.
            > Feel free to post where you like.
            > Tom
            >
            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Brian Morris
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
              I spoke with my Congressman a few hours ago. He unfortunately has not been
              contacted by anyone besides myself on this matter, nor did he know much in
              the way of the bill itself. We had a good conversation about historic
              preservation.

              My concern is that people interested in civil war preservation are not aware
              of this proposal and that congressmen in western states will simply
              rubberstamp this bill due to the fact that there is less civil war interest
              in the western states for obvious reasons. So I encourage our members in the
              west especially to make an effort to contact their representatives as I
              doubt representatives in states such as Hawaii and Oregon have as many civil
              war buffs in their constituency.

              Brian

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                Thanks again, very helpful. One thing that may help is local courtesy.
                If we can persuade the local Congressman, Roscoe Bartlett, to oppose it
                then other Congressmen are less likely to want to ram it through over
                his vote. I have written to him, but have not heard back yet.

                >>> ironbrigade@... 06/01/05 4:52 PM >>>
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                  This may be too late for people to take advantage of, but later today,
                  Thursday June 2, Roscoe Bartlett is having a Congressional Open Door
                  time from 10am until noon. You can call 1-888-863-4581 or 301-797-6043
                  to get an appointment. Hopefully one of us can get in there.

                  Stephen Recker

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Steve,
                    Where?

                    >>> recker@... 06/02/05 12:05 AM >>>
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                      Sorry for not putting the address in there. Sixth District
                      Congressional office, 11377 Robinwood Drive. Right across from you at
                      the college there. I hope you were able to make it. I don't think it
                      was a drop in thing, though.

                      Stephen

                    • rotbaron@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                        I've sent an email to my Congressman and posted Tom Clemens' notice onto my CWRT webpage. If indeed I get a reply from my email, I will let you know.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                          No, I was busy here, too bad. Let's hope he hasthe guts to do the right
                          thing.

                          >>> recker@... 06/02/05 2:07 PM >>>