New Monuments

    Message 1 of 13 , May 31, 2005
      On behalf of Save Historic Antietam Foundation, this request is made for
      your consideration. The New Hampshire delegation in the House of
      Representatives have entered a bill, HR 1084, to overturn the monument
      moratorium at Antietam and force the NPS to accept a new monument for
      the 3 NH regiments and 1 battery present at Antietam. Obviously this
      would open the door for other states and groups to demand "their"
      monuments and would eventually lead to the "marble forest" look of
      Gettysburg. It also imposes a burden on the NPS to care for and restore
      this monument as time goes by. It is a bad idea and SHAF, who advocated
      for the moratorium, and steadfastly abhors any and all "new" monuments,
      is opposed to this power play. If you agree with our position please
      contact your Congressional Representative and let them know your
      thoughts.
      Thank you,
      Tom Clemens
      President, SHAF

    • Brian Morris
      Message 2 of 13 , May 31, 2005
        With your assumed permission Tom, I would like to post your important
        message to other Civil War groups I belong to.

        On a personal note, I believe this is an issue that reaches beyond just
        Antietam. This is not just about this one monument or one battlefield but
        all battlefields and how our Civil War heritage will be preserved over the
        next 20 years. This is important because once this monument goes in there
        are others waiting in the wings at many other battlefields such as
        Gettysburg, Shiloh and others. Not just a few but perhaps dozens of new
        monuments. Once that precedent is set, the doors will be open for every
        group who thinks their favorite regiment or general didn't get the marker on
        the field that they feel they deserved.

        Our concern should be only what we can do to preserve our battlefields, not
        what to add to them. Because in the end anything we add to the battlefield
        is nothing more than graffiti. Monuments to our own arrogance that we
        believed that we can add to these historic battlefields monuments to stand
        beside those erected by the men who fought there. The best present we can
        give to future generations is hand them these battlefields in such condition
        that nobody would even know we were there.

        There is a saying among those who explore caves and it should also be the
        mantra for Civil War battlefields. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing
        but footprints.

        Brian

        > On behalf of Save Historic Antietam Foundation, this request is made for
        > your consideration. The New Hampshire delegation in the House of
        > Representatives have entered a bill, HR 1084, to overturn the monument
        > moratorium at Antietam and force the NPS to accept a new monument for
        > the 3 NH regiments and 1 battery present at Antietam. Obviously this
        > would open the door for other states and groups to demand "their"
        > monuments and would eventually lead to the "marble forest" look of
        > Gettysburg. It also imposes a burden on the NPS to care for and restore
        > this monument as time goes by. It is a bad idea and SHAF, who advocated
        > for the moratorium, and steadfastly abhors any and all "new" monuments,
        > is opposed to this power play. If you agree with our position please
        > contact your Congressional Representative and let them know your
        > thoughts.
        > Thank you,
        > Tom Clemens
        > President, SHAF
        >

        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
          Tom, friends,

          I've posted the SHAF announcement on AotW along with some links to
          help folks track the bills in Congress, contact their congresspersons,
          and see responses so far (http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=373).
          I found interesting testimony in opposition to the legislation from an
          associate director of the Park Service - check it out - well stated,
          reasoned ideas.

          I've voiced my objections to my Reps also.

          Brian
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
            Your eloquence and support of the battlefields are much appreciated.
            Feel free to post where you like.
            Tom

            >>> ironbrigade@... 06/01/05 2:42 AM >>>
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
              Brian,
              I could not get to your link, and am not sure i am receiving AOTW, but
              appreciate the posting. Yes, the NPS does oppose the bill.

              >>> bdowney@... 06/01/05 10:16 AM >>>
            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                I contacted my local congressman Dennis Moore and was asked whom he should
                contact for more information. I gave him your e-mail address Tom so
                hopefully he will be contacting you.

                Brian

                > Your eloquence and support of the battlefields are much appreciated.
                > Feel free to post where you like.
                > Tom
                >
                > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Brian Morris
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                  I spoke with my Congressman a few hours ago. He unfortunately has not been
                  contacted by anyone besides myself on this matter, nor did he know much in
                  the way of the bill itself. We had a good conversation about historic
                  preservation.

                  My concern is that people interested in civil war preservation are not aware
                  of this proposal and that congressmen in western states will simply
                  rubberstamp this bill due to the fact that there is less civil war interest
                  in the western states for obvious reasons. So I encourage our members in the
                  west especially to make an effort to contact their representatives as I
                  doubt representatives in states such as Hawaii and Oregon have as many civil
                  war buffs in their constituency.

                  Brian

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                    Thanks again, very helpful. One thing that may help is local courtesy.
                    If we can persuade the local Congressman, Roscoe Bartlett, to oppose it
                    then other Congressmen are less likely to want to ram it through over
                    his vote. I have written to him, but have not heard back yet.

                    >>> ironbrigade@... 06/01/05 4:52 PM >>>
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                      This may be too late for people to take advantage of, but later today,
                      Thursday June 2, Roscoe Bartlett is having a Congressional Open Door
                      time from 10am until noon. You can call 1-888-863-4581 or 301-797-6043
                      to get an appointment. Hopefully one of us can get in there.

                      Stephen Recker

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Steve,
                        Where?

                        >>> recker@... 06/02/05 12:05 AM >>>
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Sorry for not putting the address in there. Sixth District
                          Congressional office, 11377 Robinwood Drive. Right across from you at
                          the college there. I hope you were able to make it. I don't think it
                          was a drop in thing, though.

                          Stephen

                        • rotbaron@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                            I've sent an email to my Congressman and posted Tom Clemens' notice onto my CWRT webpage. If indeed I get a reply from my email, I will let you know.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                              No, I was busy here, too bad. Let's hope he hasthe guts to do the right
                              thing.

                              >>> recker@... 06/02/05 2:07 PM >>>