128th Pa

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2005
      The 128th PA, for
      example, was not much more than a month old and got so confused and tangled
      up trying to maneuver in the heat of battle that they were ordered to
      attack, just to get them out of the way.

      Richard:

      If you can give me the source for this, I would greatly appreciate it. I have been researching the 128th for several years. I know that immediately upon their entrance over the the knoll(later referred by the soldiers as Croasdale's Knoll after the 128th's Colonel) where the 12th Pa Cav monument is today, they were hit by Confederate fire. Their Col, was killed immediately, their LtCol wounded and taken off the field. It was left to their Major and officers from other regiments to lead the regiment. Mansfield because of his great fear that his green troops would run, had them march in mass into the battle.

      Paula

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2005
        I'll check it out -- my bet would be Sears, but I'll look further. Give me
        a coupla days.

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2005
          <<I'll check it out -- my bet would be Sears, but I'll look further. Give me
          a coupla days.>>
          Richard:
          Thanks, I just checked "Landscape Turned Red", and checked Sears' sources which are the OR, a 28th NY soldier's letter and "Pa at Antietam(which I own"). I need to explore this more, since my memory on this has faded a bit, but in my research, I have a lot of info from letters written home and also published in the local newspapers.
          I am not saying that the 128th was not in chaos, they absolutely were! It is true, they had very little drilling and spent their time in DC building fortifications prior to being assigned to the XII corps, but I'm not sure they were as disorganized as Sears makes them to be, only because other officers did step in to deploy them.
          Right now, it is the end of the school year and I am in the middle of report cards and a million other things. I'll try and research this further after school is done, but in the meantime, any other info you or anyone else can provide would be greatly appreciated.
          Paula

          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2005
            Anyone know anything about Capt. Joseph Crane Audenried, who supposedly
            reported to Sumner? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2005
              Steve,
              Joseph Crain Audenried was born in 11/6/1839 in Pottsville, PA and
              appt'd. to USMA 1857, graduating 17th in the June class of 1861, not to
              be confused witht he May class of 1861. Appt'd. Lt. in the 3rd Cav,
              served as an aide to Gen. Tyler at Bull Run in 1861, (with Lt. Patrick
              O'Rorke). became Adj't. of the 6th Cav and served as an aide to Sumner
              until Sumner's death in 1863. Wounded at Antietam and brevetted Capt.
              for his service there. Served as Grant's aide and then served on
              Sherman's staff for the rest of his life. He is described a a ideal
              aide. He died at 40 in 1880, and was much lamented by Sherman, then
              C-in-C of US Army. Withion six months of Audenried's death Sherman
              began an affair with his widow, which went on for years. He is burried
              at West Point, across the path from his classmate G.A. Custer. Anything
              else you want to know? :-)
              Info comes from Heitman and "An Unremaining Glory" by Mary Elizabeth
              Sergent.
              Tom Clemens

              >>> recker@... 05/31/05 11:00 PM >>>
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005

                Yow, Thanks. Guess I know who to ask!

                Stephen

              • 128thpa@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
                  <<I just noticed Stephen's address -- so he obviously can chime in on the
                  128th PA.>>
                  Hi Richard, I think you meant my email address?
                  Paula
                  128thpa@...

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
                    uhhhh. yeah. These danged new-fangled machines befuddle me sometimes.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
                      Yeah. I was hiding because I couldn't think of anything smart about the
                      128th PA ;-)

                      Stephen

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
                        There's a first time for everything!
                        > Yeah. I was hiding because I couldn't think of anything smart about the
                        > 128th PA ;-)
                        >
                        > Stephen
                        >
                        > On Wednesday, June 1, 2005, at 06:17 PM, <richard@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > uhhhh. yeah. These danged new-fangled machines befuddle me sometimes.

                      • Brian Downey
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 11, 2007
                          Hi Stephen, friends,

                          I've just posted a bio sketch on Captain Audenried this evening on my
                          blog. I hope he's still interesting even after all this time :)

                          http://behind.aotw.org/2007/04/11/audenried-61/

                          Brian

                          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com (31 May 2005), Stephen Recker

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 13, 2007