Re: [TalkAntietam] Where was JLC during the battle?

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 29 , May 30, 2005
      I am new to this list.
      I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is valid.
      Donna

      Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
      Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

      Message 2 of 29 , May 30, 2005
        Steve,
        I missed your initial query, but remind me the next time we're together
        (tomorrow?) to give you a copy of the typescript of JLC's letter home
        describing the march to Sharpsburg and the fight at Shepherdstown. Got
        it a while ago form a friend.
        Tom

        >>> recker@... 05/30/05 4:39 PM >>>
      • bdowney@aotw.org
        Message 3 of 29 , May 30, 2005
          Hi Donna,

          Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

          This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you remember the
          source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's documented reliably.

          Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've not seen
          mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

          Brian

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 29 , May 30, 2005
            And speaking of inoculations --

            I went to a lecture last week and this college professor said that on
            occasion inoculations were given by cutting the recipient and covering the
            wound with a SCAB from an infected person! Okay -- all together now --
            YUCK!

            In actuality -- I guess that was pretty advanced science for the day.

            > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for small
            pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and Chamberlain was
            with that group. I have no idea if that statement is valid.
            > Donna

            > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Stephen Recker

          • Donna
            Message 5 of 29 , May 30, 2005
              Hi Brian Thanks for the welcome.
              My guess is that the inoculations were required. I went through the barracks in Trenton and the guide told us that George Washington required the troops to be inoculated in the Revolutionary War. I am sure it continued. I will look around and see if I can find anything credible about the story. It was just one of those things that just stuck in my mind.
              Donna
              Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

              This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you remember the
              source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's documented reliably.

              Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've not seen
              mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

              Brian

              > I am new to this list.
              > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for
              > small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and
              > Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is
              > valid.
              > Donna

              > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Stephen Recker

              > --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
              > computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                I've heard this story as well, but for some reason associate it with
                Chancellorsville and not Antietam.

                Harry

                Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

                This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you
                remember the
                source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's
                documented reliably.

                Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've
                not seen
                mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                Brian

                > I am new to this list.
                > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for
                > small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and
                > Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is
                > valid.
                > Donna

                > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Stephen Recker

                > --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
                > computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM

                _____

              • Donna
                Message 7 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                  I am wrong. The small pox inoculations were given to the 20th Maine prior to Chancellorsville not Antietam. Sorry for the confusion.
                  Donna

                  BTW. In the early days, a person was inoculated in the following way. A thread was drawn through the pustule of an infected patient then drawn through the skin of a healthy patient. The science was the same as today, that the individual would develop a resistance to a given virus. Sometimes an individual developed the disease, but the numbers were definitely in the favor of inoculation.

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                    Dear Donna,

                    Do you live in NJ? I am about an hour north of Trenton and years ago went
                    through the Old Barracks one December 266h when there was a re-creation of
                    part of the Battle of Trenton.

                    As to JLC and 20th ME VI, their first actual battle was Fredericksburg. The
                    20th ME was part of the overall reserve at Antietam of Porter's V Corps. As
                    the 20th ME was a very green unit, I doubt Mac would have used them even if
                    necessary.

                    Very respectfully,
                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                    Longstreet's Corps

                    > My guess is that the inoculations were required. I went through the
                    > barracks in Trenton and the guide told us that George Washington required
                    > the troops to be inoculated in the Revolutionary War. I am sure it
                    > continued. I will look around and see if I can find anything credible
                    > about the story. It was just one of those things that just stuck in my
                    > mind.
                    > Donna

                  • Donna
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                      I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating. The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                      That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take any casualties until Fredericksburg?

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                        Dear Donna,

                        Re 20th ME and Fredericksburg question. I do not recall from what I have
                        read, mostly in Pullen's book, whether the 20th ME took casualties prior to
                        Fredericksburg. However, Fredericksburg certainly was their baptism of fire
                        in an organized sense.

                        Very respectfully,
                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                        Longstreet's Corps

                        > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                        > The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                        > science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                        > have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.
                        >
                        > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                        > any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                        > Donna

                      • Teej Smith
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                          Brian Downey wrote:

                          > Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've
                          > not seen
                          > mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                          More than you probably wanted to know about smallpox inoculations. U.S.
                          army regulation 1299 issued in 1863 "As soon as a recruit joins any regiment
                          or station, he shall be examined by the medical officer, and vaccinated when
                          it is required. [Vaccination was required if there was no scar documenting
                          previous vaccination." This taken from "Civil War Medicine: Challenges and
                          Triumphs" by Allen Jay Bollet, M.D. According to Dr. Bollet this regulation
                          was not always enforced and that the soldier often feared the inoculation as
                          much as he feared the disease. Sometimes the serum used was ineffective or
                          as in the case of the 20th Maine, tainted. Often the soldiers inoculated
                          each other by using unsterilized knives dipped in the liquid from a lesion.
                          The result was often a severe local infection which, if it went to "blood
                          poisoning," could cause the need for amputation or even death. Apparently
                          the Confederate soldier was more likely to develop an infection because of
                          poor diet.
                          I have a letter from a Confederate lieutenant stationed in Tennessee in
                          which he told his sister he had received a smallpox vaccination and that it
                          had taken nearly three weeks for the soreness to go away enough so that he
                          raise his sabre.

                          Teej
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 31, 2005

                            Tomorrow sounds great. Just name the time and place. That letter sounds
                            like a great find. Thanks.

                            Steve

                          • richard@rcroker.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                              I'm not sure Mac gave a whit whether units had been tested or not. I seem
                              to recall reading about several of Governor Curtain's Pennsylvania units
                              being sent against the Bloody Lane and the West Woods. The 128th PA, for
                              example, was not much more than a month old and got so confused and tangled
                              up trying to maneuver in the heat of battle that they were ordered to
                              attack, just to get them out of the way.

                              I think the 20th Maine was in Porter's Corps which was held in reserve all
                              day. Remember the momentous Porter quotation...
                              "...they are all of your army that remains between this point and
                              Washington. Remember, General. I command the last reserve of the last army
                              of the Republic." The history of TWO nations may have turned in that
                              moment.

                              Richard Croker

                              > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                              The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                              science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                              have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                              > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                              any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                              > Donna

                              Service.

                              Service.

                            • richard@rcroker.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                I just noticed Stephen's address -- so he obviously can chime in on the
                                128th PA.

                                Message 15 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                  There were in fact quite a few "untested" Union regiments which saw action
                                  at Antietam; the 13th NJ and the 16th CT come to mind. Some performed
                                  alright, others not so well.

                                  By contrast, each and every Confederate infantry regiment at Antietam had
                                  seen at least one major battle prior to the Maryland Campaign - 19% had been
                                  in only one battle, 81% had been in two or more, and 60% had been in three
                                  or more.

                                  Harry

                                  > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                                  The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                                  science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                                  have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                                  > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                                  any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                                  > Donna

                                  Service.

                                  Service.

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                    I have been reading the micro-history "Disaster in the West Woods". It
                                    knocks Sumner for sending Sedgwick across the Cornfield into the West
                                    Woods in Brigade Front formation.

                                    Not being a military guy myself, I was wondering what formation
                                    would've been better. The book points out the deficiencies of the
                                    chosen formation but doesn't offer an alternative. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                                    Stephen Recker
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                      Harry and Richard,

                                      IIRC, in Sounding the Shallows, Harsh has a table showing the number of
                                      battles the various divisions, etc had been in. Most impressive.

                                      Very respectfully,
                                      G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                      Confederate Signal Corps,
                                      Longstreet's Corps

                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                        Stephen,

                                        What Sumner wanted Sedgwick to do would have worked if:

                                        1. Proper recon had been done previously;
                                        2. Flankers and skirmishers on both sides and in the front;
                                        3. While I suspect Sumner had Sedgwick use the proper interval spacing
                                        between the brigades, I think the brigade battle line would have been
                                        sufficient had enough room been there for maneuver.
                                        4. Other than the brigade battle line, perhaps marching in column front with
                                        flankers to each side and skirmishers in front might have worked.

                                        But we will never know.............

                                        Very respectfully,
                                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                                        Longstreet's Corps

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                          I know John was trying to get you for a tour @ 1:00 today, see you
                                          there?

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                            I hadn't heard anything about that until I called John about something
                                            different and I guess he already handled it. Too bad. I had something I
                                            could've cancelled but I have something else at 1pm today. See you
                                            later, I guess. Have a blast out there today. Gorgeous weather.

                                            Stephen

                                            On Tuesday, May 31, 2005, at 10:45 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                            > I know John was trying to get you for a tour @ 1:00 today, see you
                                            > there?
                                          • Stephen Bockmiller
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                              Tom...

                                              Any reference to Middletown in that letter?

                                              Steve Bockmiller

                                              http://mail.yahoo.com