Re: [TalkAntietam] Where was JLC during the battle?

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 29 , May 30 1:59 PM
      Actually, of course, Lt. Colonels are refered to as "Colonel."

      Also according to Chamberlain, he had achieved some noteriety along this
      time -- because he had the most beautiful horse in the AoP. His name was
      Prince and several generals had offered to buy him.
      Message 2 of 29 , May 30 5:19 PM
        I am new to this list.
        I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is valid.
        Donna

        Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
        Thanks.

        Stephen Recker

        Message 3 of 29 , May 30 6:25 PM
          Steve,
          I missed your initial query, but remind me the next time we're together
          (tomorrow?) to give you a copy of the typescript of JLC's letter home
          describing the march to Sharpsburg and the fight at Shepherdstown. Got
          it a while ago form a friend.
          Tom

          >>> recker@... 05/30/05 4:39 PM >>>
        • bdowney@aotw.org
          Message 4 of 29 , May 30 6:38 PM
            Hi Donna,

            Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

            This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you remember the
            source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's documented reliably.

            Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've not seen
            mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

            Brian

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 29 , May 30 6:42 PM
              And speaking of inoculations --

              I went to a lecture last week and this college professor said that on
              occasion inoculations were given by cutting the recipient and covering the
              wound with a SCAB from an infected person! Okay -- all together now --
              YUCK!

              In actuality -- I guess that was pretty advanced science for the day.

              > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for small
              pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and Chamberlain was
              with that group. I have no idea if that statement is valid.
              > Donna

              > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Stephen Recker

            • Donna
              Message 6 of 29 , May 30 6:46 PM
                Hi Brian Thanks for the welcome.
                My guess is that the inoculations were required. I went through the barracks in Trenton and the guide told us that George Washington required the troops to be inoculated in the Revolutionary War. I am sure it continued. I will look around and see if I can find anything credible about the story. It was just one of those things that just stuck in my mind.
                Donna
                Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

                This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you remember the
                source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's documented reliably.

                Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've not seen
                mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                Brian

                > I am new to this list.
                > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for
                > small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and
                > Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is
                > valid.
                > Donna

                > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Stephen Recker

                > --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
                > computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 29 , May 30 6:50 PM
                  I've heard this story as well, but for some reason associate it with
                  Chancellorsville and not Antietam.

                  Harry

                  Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

                  This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you
                  remember the
                  source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's
                  documented reliably.

                  Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've
                  not seen
                  mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                  Brian

                  > I am new to this list.
                  > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for
                  > small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and
                  > Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is
                  > valid.
                  > Donna

                  > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Stephen Recker

                  > --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
                  > computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM

                  _____

                • Donna
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 30 7:00 PM
                    I am wrong. The small pox inoculations were given to the 20th Maine prior to Chancellorsville not Antietam. Sorry for the confusion.
                    Donna

                    BTW. In the early days, a person was inoculated in the following way. A thread was drawn through the pustule of an infected patient then drawn through the skin of a healthy patient. The science was the same as today, that the individual would develop a resistance to a given virus. Sometimes an individual developed the disease, but the numbers were definitely in the favor of inoculation.

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 30 7:06 PM
                      Dear Donna,

                      Do you live in NJ? I am about an hour north of Trenton and years ago went
                      through the Old Barracks one December 266h when there was a re-creation of
                      part of the Battle of Trenton.

                      As to JLC and 20th ME VI, their first actual battle was Fredericksburg. The
                      20th ME was part of the overall reserve at Antietam of Porter's V Corps. As
                      the 20th ME was a very green unit, I doubt Mac would have used them even if
                      necessary.

                      Very respectfully,
                      G E "Gerry" Mayers
                      Confederate Signal Corps,
                      Longstreet's Corps

                      > My guess is that the inoculations were required. I went through the
                      > barracks in Trenton and the guide told us that George Washington required
                      > the troops to be inoculated in the Revolutionary War. I am sure it
                      > continued. I will look around and see if I can find anything credible
                      > about the story. It was just one of those things that just stuck in my
                      > mind.
                      > Donna

                    • Donna
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 30 7:11 PM
                        I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating. The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                        That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take any casualties until Fredericksburg?

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 30 7:24 PM
                          Dear Donna,

                          Re 20th ME and Fredericksburg question. I do not recall from what I have
                          read, mostly in Pullen's book, whether the 20th ME took casualties prior to
                          Fredericksburg. However, Fredericksburg certainly was their baptism of fire
                          in an organized sense.

                          Very respectfully,
                          G E "Gerry" Mayers
                          Confederate Signal Corps,
                          Longstreet's Corps

                          > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                          > The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                          > science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                          > have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.
                          >
                          > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                          > any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                          > Donna

                        • Teej Smith
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 30 7:26 PM
                            Brian Downey wrote:

                            > Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've
                            > not seen
                            > mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                            More than you probably wanted to know about smallpox inoculations. U.S.
                            army regulation 1299 issued in 1863 "As soon as a recruit joins any regiment
                            or station, he shall be examined by the medical officer, and vaccinated when
                            it is required. [Vaccination was required if there was no scar documenting
                            previous vaccination." This taken from "Civil War Medicine: Challenges and
                            Triumphs" by Allen Jay Bollet, M.D. According to Dr. Bollet this regulation
                            was not always enforced and that the soldier often feared the inoculation as
                            much as he feared the disease. Sometimes the serum used was ineffective or
                            as in the case of the 20th Maine, tainted. Often the soldiers inoculated
                            each other by using unsterilized knives dipped in the liquid from a lesion.
                            The result was often a severe local infection which, if it went to "blood
                            poisoning," could cause the need for amputation or even death. Apparently
                            the Confederate soldier was more likely to develop an infection because of
                            poor diet.
                            I have a letter from a Confederate lieutenant stationed in Tennessee in
                            which he told his sister he had received a smallpox vaccination and that it
                            had taken nearly three weeks for the soreness to go away enough so that he
                            raise his sabre.

                            Teej
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 31 5:33 AM

                              Tomorrow sounds great. Just name the time and place. That letter sounds
                              like a great find. Thanks.

                              Steve

                            • richard@rcroker.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 31 5:52 AM
                                I'm not sure Mac gave a whit whether units had been tested or not. I seem
                                to recall reading about several of Governor Curtain's Pennsylvania units
                                being sent against the Bloody Lane and the West Woods. The 128th PA, for
                                example, was not much more than a month old and got so confused and tangled
                                up trying to maneuver in the heat of battle that they were ordered to
                                attack, just to get them out of the way.

                                I think the 20th Maine was in Porter's Corps which was held in reserve all
                                day. Remember the momentous Porter quotation...
                                "...they are all of your army that remains between this point and
                                Washington. Remember, General. I command the last reserve of the last army
                                of the Republic." The history of TWO nations may have turned in that
                                moment.

                                Richard Croker

                                > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                                The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                                science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                                have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                                > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                                any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                                > Donna

                                Service.

                                Service.

                              • richard@rcroker.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 31 5:53 AM
                                  I just noticed Stephen's address -- so he obviously can chime in on the
                                  128th PA.

                                  > > Hi Teej! I think you mean LtCol. The Colonel of the 20th Me at
                                  > > Antietam and from the start was Adelbert Ames. JLC received his
                                  > > promotion to Colonel on May 20, 1863 after Ames was promoted to
                                  > > BGeneral.
                                  > >
                                  > > Paula

                                  > >> According to Trulock, "In the Hands of Providence", the 20th Maine was
                                  > >> located in reserve protecting the middle bridge from the Union side.
                                  > >> On
                                  > >> Sept 18th they were by the lower bridge They actually faced their
                                  > >> first
                                  > >> real action at Shepardstown. I am sure others have more precise
                                  > >> information.
                                  > >
                                  > > To add what Paula wrote, Chamberlain didn't even receive his
                                  > > commission
                                  > > as colonel of the 20th Me until August 8, 1862 which means he only had
                                  > > been
                                  > > in command for approximately five weeks before Antietam.
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards,
                                  > > Teej
                                  > >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Harry Smeltzer
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 31 6:24 AM
                                    There were in fact quite a few "untested" Union regiments which saw action
                                    at Antietam; the 13th NJ and the 16th CT come to mind. Some performed
                                    alright, others not so well.

                                    By contrast, each and every Confederate infantry regiment at Antietam had
                                    seen at least one major battle prior to the Maryland Campaign - 19% had been
                                    in only one battle, 81% had been in two or more, and 60% had been in three
                                    or more.

                                    Harry

                                    > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                                    The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                                    science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                                    have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                                    > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                                    any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                                    > Donna

                                    Service.

                                    Service.

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 31 7:39 AM
                                      I have been reading the micro-history "Disaster in the West Woods". It
                                      knocks Sumner for sending Sedgwick across the Cornfield into the West
                                      Woods in Brigade Front formation.

                                      Not being a military guy myself, I was wondering what formation
                                      would've been better. The book points out the deficiencies of the
                                      chosen formation but doesn't offer an alternative. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                                      Stephen Recker
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 31 7:41 AM
                                        Harry and Richard,

                                        IIRC, in Sounding the Shallows, Harsh has a table showing the number of
                                        battles the various divisions, etc had been in. Most impressive.

                                        Very respectfully,
                                        G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                        Confederate Signal Corps,
                                        Longstreet's Corps

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 31 7:43 AM
                                          Stephen,

                                          What Sumner wanted Sedgwick to do would have worked if:

                                          1. Proper recon had been done previously;
                                          2. Flankers and skirmishers on both sides and in the front;
                                          3. While I suspect Sumner had Sedgwick use the proper interval spacing
                                          between the brigades, I think the brigade battle line would have been
                                          sufficient had enough room been there for maneuver.
                                          4. Other than the brigade battle line, perhaps marching in column front with
                                          flankers to each side and skirmishers in front might have worked.

                                          But we will never know.............

                                          Very respectfully,
                                          G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                          Confederate Signal Corps,
                                          Longstreet's Corps

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 31 7:45 AM
                                            I know John was trying to get you for a tour @ 1:00 today, see you
                                            there?

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 31 9:38 AM
                                              I hadn't heard anything about that until I called John about something
                                              different and I guess he already handled it. Too bad. I had something I
                                              could've cancelled but I have something else at 1pm today. See you
                                              later, I guess. Have a blast out there today. Gorgeous weather.

                                              Stephen

                                              On Tuesday, May 31, 2005, at 10:45 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                              > I know John was trying to get you for a tour @ 1:00 today, see you
                                              > there?
                                            • Stephen Bockmiller
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 31 6:00 PM
                                                Tom...

                                                Any reference to Middletown in that letter?

                                                Steve Bockmiller

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com