Where was JLC during the battle?

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 29 , May 30, 2005
      According to Trulock, "In the Hands of Providence", the 20th Maine was located in reserve protecting the middle bridge from the Union side. On Sept 18th they were by the lower bridge They actually faced their first real action at Shepardstown. I am sure others have more precise information.

      The 20th Me, as well as many other Union troops were untested at Antietam. Many people forget that. While researching the 128th Pa, which was in the XII Corps, I have become greatly aware of this problem during the battle. The lack of experience in the XII corps is what had Mansfield riding all over the field, even after he was mortally wounded.

      Paula

      Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
      Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

    • Teej Smith
      Message 2 of 29 , May 30, 2005
        > According to Trulock, "In the Hands of Providence", the 20th Maine was
        > located in reserve protecting the middle bridge from the Union side. On
        > Sept 18th they were by the lower bridge They actually faced their first
        > real action at Shepardstown. I am sure others have more precise
        > information.

        To add what Paula wrote, Chamberlain didn't even receive his commission
        as colonel of the 20th Me until August 8, 1862 which means he only had been
        in command for approximately five weeks before Antietam.

        Regards,
        Teej
      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 29 , May 30, 2005
          Hi Teej! I think you mean LtCol. The Colonel of the 20th Me at Antietam and from the start was Adelbert Ames. JLC received his promotion to Colonel on May 20, 1863 after Ames was promoted to BGeneral.

          Paula

          Message 4 of 29 , May 30, 2005
            > Hi Teej! I think you mean LtCol. The Colonel of the 20th Me at Antietam
            > and from the start was Adelbert Ames. JLC received his promotion to
            > Colonel on May 20, 1863 after Ames was promoted to BGeneral.

            LOL...Oops, yes, I did mean "Lt. Col." Too many years of hearing
            "colonel, me darlin," I guess. :-) Hope all is well with you and yours.

            Teej
            Message 5 of 29 , May 30, 2005
              Thanks all. Interesting stuff.

              Stephen

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                Actually, of course, Lt. Colonels are refered to as "Colonel."

                Also according to Chamberlain, he had achieved some noteriety along this
                time -- because he had the most beautiful horse in the AoP. His name was
                Prince and several generals had offered to buy him.
                > > Hi Teej! I think you mean LtCol. The Colonel of the 20th Me at
                Antietam
                > > and from the start was Adelbert Ames. JLC received his promotion to
                > > Colonel on May 20, 1863 after Ames was promoted to BGeneral.
                >
                > LOL...Oops, yes, I did mean "Lt. Col." Too many years of hearing
                > "colonel, me darlin," I guess. :-) Hope all is well with you and yours.
                >
                > Teej
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Donna
                Message 7 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                  I am new to this list.
                  I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is valid.
                  Donna

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                    Steve,
                    I missed your initial query, but remind me the next time we're together
                    (tomorrow?) to give you a copy of the typescript of JLC's letter home
                    describing the march to Sharpsburg and the fight at Shepherdstown. Got
                    it a while ago form a friend.
                    Tom

                    >>> recker@... 05/30/05 4:39 PM >>>
                  • bdowney@aotw.org
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                      Hi Donna,

                      Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

                      This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you remember the
                      source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's documented reliably.

                      Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've not seen
                      mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                      Brian

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                        And speaking of inoculations --

                        I went to a lecture last week and this college professor said that on
                        occasion inoculations were given by cutting the recipient and covering the
                        wound with a SCAB from an infected person! Okay -- all together now --
                        YUCK!

                        In actuality -- I guess that was pretty advanced science for the day.

                        > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for small
                        pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and Chamberlain was
                        with that group. I have no idea if that statement is valid.
                        > Donna

                        > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > Stephen Recker

                      • Donna
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                          Hi Brian Thanks for the welcome.
                          My guess is that the inoculations were required. I went through the barracks in Trenton and the guide told us that George Washington required the troops to be inoculated in the Revolutionary War. I am sure it continued. I will look around and see if I can find anything credible about the story. It was just one of those things that just stuck in my mind.
                          Donna
                          Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

                          This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you remember the
                          source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's documented reliably.

                          Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've not seen
                          mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                          Brian

                          > I am new to this list.
                          > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for
                          > small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and
                          > Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is
                          > valid.
                          > Donna

                          > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Stephen Recker

                          > --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
                          > computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
                          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM

                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                            I've heard this story as well, but for some reason associate it with
                            Chancellorsville and not Antietam.

                            Harry

                            Welcome to the group, it's good to see fresh activity.

                            This is fascinating stuff about the 20th Maine and smallpox. Do you
                            remember the
                            source? A fine anecdote, if true. I'd love to use it ... if it's
                            documented reliably.

                            Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've
                            not seen
                            mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                            Brian

                            > I am new to this list.
                            > I had read that the 20 ME had just received their inoculations for
                            > small pox and were in isolation because the serum was bad, and
                            > Chamberlain was with that group. I have no idea if that statement is
                            > valid.
                            > Donna

                            > Where was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain during the Battle of Antietam?
                            > Thanks.
                            >
                            > Stephen Recker

                            > --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own
                            > computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
                            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM

                            _____

                          • Donna
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                              I am wrong. The small pox inoculations were given to the 20th Maine prior to Chancellorsville not Antietam. Sorry for the confusion.
                              Donna

                              BTW. In the early days, a person was inoculated in the following way. A thread was drawn through the pustule of an infected patient then drawn through the skin of a healthy patient. The science was the same as today, that the individual would develop a resistance to a given virus. Sometimes an individual developed the disease, but the numbers were definitely in the favor of inoculation.
                              Donna

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                                Dear Donna,

                                Do you live in NJ? I am about an hour north of Trenton and years ago went
                                through the Old Barracks one December 266h when there was a re-creation of
                                part of the Battle of Trenton.

                                As to JLC and 20th ME VI, their first actual battle was Fredericksburg. The
                                20th ME was part of the overall reserve at Antietam of Porter's V Corps. As
                                the 20th ME was a very green unit, I doubt Mac would have used them even if
                                necessary.

                                Very respectfully,
                                G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                Confederate Signal Corps,
                                Longstreet's Corps

                                > My guess is that the inoculations were required. I went through the
                                > barracks in Trenton and the guide told us that George Washington required
                                > the troops to be inoculated in the Revolutionary War. I am sure it
                                > continued. I will look around and see if I can find anything credible
                                > about the story. It was just one of those things that just stuck in my
                                > mind.
                                > Donna

                              • Donna
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                                  I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating. The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                                  That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take any casualties until Fredericksburg?

                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                                    Dear Donna,

                                    Re 20th ME and Fredericksburg question. I do not recall from what I have
                                    read, mostly in Pullen's book, whether the 20th ME took casualties prior to
                                    Fredericksburg. However, Fredericksburg certainly was their baptism of fire
                                    in an organized sense.

                                    Very respectfully,
                                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                                    Longstreet's Corps

                                    > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                                    > The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                                    > science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                                    > have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.
                                    >
                                    > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                                    > any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                                    > Donna

                                  • Teej Smith
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 30, 2005
                                      Brian Downey wrote:

                                      > Were smallpox inoculations common among the troops during the War? I've
                                      > not seen
                                      > mention of this before, but then, my memory goes sometimes ...

                                      More than you probably wanted to know about smallpox inoculations. U.S.
                                      army regulation 1299 issued in 1863 "As soon as a recruit joins any regiment
                                      or station, he shall be examined by the medical officer, and vaccinated when
                                      it is required. [Vaccination was required if there was no scar documenting
                                      previous vaccination." This taken from "Civil War Medicine: Challenges and
                                      Triumphs" by Allen Jay Bollet, M.D. According to Dr. Bollet this regulation
                                      was not always enforced and that the soldier often feared the inoculation as
                                      much as he feared the disease. Sometimes the serum used was ineffective or
                                      as in the case of the 20th Maine, tainted. Often the soldiers inoculated
                                      each other by using unsterilized knives dipped in the liquid from a lesion.
                                      The result was often a severe local infection which, if it went to "blood
                                      poisoning," could cause the need for amputation or even death. Apparently
                                      the Confederate soldier was more likely to develop an infection because of
                                      poor diet.
                                      I have a letter from a Confederate lieutenant stationed in Tennessee in
                                      which he told his sister he had received a smallpox vaccination and that it
                                      had taken nearly three weeks for the soreness to go away enough so that he
                                      raise his sabre.

                                      Teej
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 31, 2005

                                        Tomorrow sounds great. Just name the time and place. That letter sounds
                                        like a great find. Thanks.

                                        Steve

                                      • richard@rcroker.com
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                          I'm not sure Mac gave a whit whether units had been tested or not. I seem
                                          to recall reading about several of Governor Curtain's Pennsylvania units
                                          being sent against the Bloody Lane and the West Woods. The 128th PA, for
                                          example, was not much more than a month old and got so confused and tangled
                                          up trying to maneuver in the heat of battle that they were ordered to
                                          attack, just to get them out of the way.

                                          I think the 20th Maine was in Porter's Corps which was held in reserve all
                                          day. Remember the momentous Porter quotation...
                                          "...they are all of your army that remains between this point and
                                          Washington. Remember, General. I command the last reserve of the last army
                                          of the Republic." The history of TWO nations may have turned in that
                                          moment.

                                          Richard Croker

                                          > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                                          The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                                          science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                                          have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                                          > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                                          any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                                          > Donna

                                          Service.

                                          Service.

                                        • richard@rcroker.com
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                            I just noticed Stephen's address -- so he obviously can chime in on the
                                            128th PA.

                                            > > Hi Teej! I think you mean LtCol. The Colonel of the 20th Me at
                                            > > Antietam and from the start was Adelbert Ames. JLC received his
                                            > > promotion to Colonel on May 20, 1863 after Ames was promoted to
                                            > > BGeneral.
                                            > >
                                            > > Paula

                                            > >> According to Trulock, "In the Hands of Providence", the 20th Maine was
                                            > >> located in reserve protecting the middle bridge from the Union side.
                                            > >> On
                                            > >> Sept 18th they were by the lower bridge They actually faced their
                                            > >> first
                                            > >> real action at Shepardstown. I am sure others have more precise
                                            > >> information.
                                            > >
                                            > > To add what Paula wrote, Chamberlain didn't even receive his
                                            > > commission
                                            > > as colonel of the 20th Me until August 8, 1862 which means he only had
                                            > > been
                                            > > in command for approximately five weeks before Antietam.
                                            > >
                                            > > Regards,
                                            > > Teej
                                            > >

                                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Harry Smeltzer
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                              There were in fact quite a few "untested" Union regiments which saw action
                                              at Antietam; the 13th NJ and the 16th CT come to mind. Some performed
                                              alright, others not so well.

                                              By contrast, each and every Confederate infantry regiment at Antietam had
                                              seen at least one major battle prior to the Maryland Campaign - 19% had been
                                              in only one battle, 81% had been in two or more, and 60% had been in three
                                              or more.

                                              Harry

                                              > I live about 40 mins east of Trenton. The old Barracks was fascinating.
                                              The medical talk was great and I never realized that there was actually a
                                              science behind their methods. I would have loved to see the recreation. I
                                              have never been to the recreation of the crossing of the Delaware.

                                              > That makes a lot of sense on the 20th ME. Does this mean they didn't take
                                              any casualties until Fredericksburg?
                                              > Donna

                                              Service.

                                              Service.

                                              _____

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                                I have been reading the micro-history "Disaster in the West Woods". It
                                                knocks Sumner for sending Sedgwick across the Cornfield into the West
                                                Woods in Brigade Front formation.

                                                Not being a military guy myself, I was wondering what formation
                                                would've been better. The book points out the deficiencies of the
                                                chosen formation but doesn't offer an alternative. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                                                Stephen Recker
                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                                  Harry and Richard,

                                                  IIRC, in Sounding the Shallows, Harsh has a table showing the number of
                                                  battles the various divisions, etc had been in. Most impressive.

                                                  Very respectfully,
                                                  G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                                  Confederate Signal Corps,
                                                  Longstreet's Corps

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                                    Stephen,

                                                    What Sumner wanted Sedgwick to do would have worked if:

                                                    1. Proper recon had been done previously;
                                                    2. Flankers and skirmishers on both sides and in the front;
                                                    3. While I suspect Sumner had Sedgwick use the proper interval spacing
                                                    between the brigades, I think the brigade battle line would have been
                                                    sufficient had enough room been there for maneuver.
                                                    4. Other than the brigade battle line, perhaps marching in column front with
                                                    flankers to each side and skirmishers in front might have worked.

                                                    But we will never know.............

                                                    Very respectfully,
                                                    G E "Gerry" Mayers
                                                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                                                    Longstreet's Corps

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                                      I know John was trying to get you for a tour @ 1:00 today, see you
                                                      there?

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                                        I hadn't heard anything about that until I called John about something
                                                        different and I guess he already handled it. Too bad. I had something I
                                                        could've cancelled but I have something else at 1pm today. See you
                                                        later, I guess. Have a blast out there today. Gorgeous weather.

                                                        Stephen

                                                        On Tuesday, May 31, 2005, at 10:45 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                                        > I know John was trying to get you for a tour @ 1:00 today, see you
                                                        > there?
                                                      • Stephen Bockmiller
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , May 31, 2005
                                                          Tom...

                                                          Any reference to Middletown in that letter?

                                                          Steve Bockmiller

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com