New Hampshire Monument at Antietam?

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 5:54 PM
      I know we've debated the wisdom or seemliness of new monuments at
      Antietam NB before. In a Memorial Day piece in today's Foster's
      (Dover, VT) newspaper, Senator Sununu (R-NH) talks about the latest
      proposed legislation.

      Among other things, he says

      "Preserving the memory of American soldiers who died in service to our
      country is a shared obligation of all Americans. Mindful of this duty,
      our state's congressional delegation is currently working to ensure
      that New Hampshire soldiers who fought in the Civil War's Battle of
      Antietam are recognized in a lasting way."

      So, if you don't support a monument to NH troops at Antietam, you're
      not living up to your obligations?

      Perhaps there are other "lasting ways" to recognize them?

      Here's a link to the whole thing:
      http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050527/NEWS1301/105270031