Re: US Civil War Factbook

  • Marcus Wendel
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 10, 2001
      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Brian Downey" <brdowney@m...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the link Marcus. You have a very clean, readable site
      > there - nice introduction to the War between the States.

      Thanks, I am glad you like it.

      > On your 1862 timeline, you noted "17 Sep - Union forces defeat the
      > Confederate forces at Antietam, Maryland."
      > I would suggest the forces met on that date, but the matter of who
      > was victorious is open to debate. Also, in the North, the battle
      > was named for Antietam Creek. The battle actually occurred near
      > the town of Sharpsburg, Maryland. Those in the South referred to
      > the battle by the name of the town.

      Good point, I will try to rephrase that.

      /Marcus
      http://www.skalman.nu
    • Pa128th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 10, 2001
        awturner@... writes:

        << Hartwig writes of the AoP: "The field army had an effective strength of
        approximately 60,000 men. On September 6-7, McClellan assigned
        twenty-four new regiments to his field army, distributing them equally
        among his corps, with the Second, Ninth, and Twelfth recieving the
        largest number. Only eighteen regiments, numbering about 15,000-16,000
        men, actually accompanied the army, the others being unable to join
        their assigned brigades before the army moved. In addition, several
        thousand volunteers who had been recruited for veteran regiments joined
        their assigned brigades before the army marched, raising the number of
        recruits in the field to approximately 20,000. This meant nearly
        one-quarter of McClellan's infantry had undergone little or no
        training."

        Just to give you an example, one brigade of Alpheus Williams division in the
        the X!! corps had 6 regiments, The 124th, the 125th and the 128th Pa were
        just about full strength but were green troops and never in combat, the XII
        corps missed South Mt, arriving there the night of the 14th. The other 3
        regiments, the 10th Ct, 46th Pa and 28th NY were veterans, but had strengths
        of about company size, if that.

        Paula
      • John Priest
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 10, 2001
          I ascertained that 27 of the Federal regiments at Antietam were "green" -
          being in the service less than six weeks. Regiments like the 8th Ohio, had
          been in actions of some sort but not on the scale of Antietam. Antietam was
          the first real battle of a large portion of the A of P. It was a very
          terrible taste of on the job training.

          Mike Priest

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 10, 2001
            John Priest wrote:

            > I ascertained that 27 of the Federal regiments at Antietam were "green" -
            > being in the service less than six weeks. Regiments like the 8th Ohio, had
            > been in actions of some sort but not on the scale of Antietam. Antietam was
            > the first real battle of a large portion of the A of P. It was a very
            > terrible taste of on the job training.

            If you count Humphrey's division and Forth corps the number of "Green"
            regiments jumps to 27 on my table. I didn't count them because they
            were not at Antietam on the 17th.

            Jim Rose
          • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
              I don't think everyone believes McClellan would "automatically" destroy Lee.
              But with an advantage in manpower, and facing an opponent that had been
              whacked pretty good the day before (and Mac should know this, since _he_ was
              whacked pretty thoroughly too), and with his back against a river and
              nothing but catastrophe awaiting him should the day go against him, was it
              _at least_ worth a try?

              I would think even you would have to consider that as a valid choice.

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                Perhaps saying "everyone" was a bit strong, but overall that is my
                impression of how most people judge McClellan's actions during the
                Maryland campaign. The seize on their vision of what might have been,
                and lose sight of what McClellan did accomplish.

                As to the specifics of your question (which was phrased quite
                differently than I normally see it), I agree that it would have been
                worth a try. That is speaking from the position of hindsight, and
                knowing what I know, attacking on the 18th probably would have been a
                good idea. While admitting that attacking might have been the best
                course of action, that does not mean that I believe what McClellan did
                do was wrong. I think that Harsh goes into the best detail of how the
                situation looked to McClellan after the battle in TATF (Murfin does
                little more than try to show that McClellan was little more than a
                whinny boy, and Sears is not much better).

                Looking at the situation on the evening of the 17th as it appeared to
                McClellan his decision is not unreasonable. In the first place
                McClellan did intend to attack on the 18th, but circumstances delayed it
                for 24 hours. McClellan was unaware of his advantage in manpower. All
                of the intelligence reports put the ANV at having a 25% advantage in
                men, and nothing that happened during the 17th could have changed that
                opinion downward. The AotP was repulsed at every point with 25-33%
                losses (it was worse among the green troops). The ANV's line was never
                broken fully open anywhere. The ANV was "wacked", but so was the AotP.
                Any attack on the 18th could only be done with the Fifth and Sixth
                corps'. The other corps' were unable to conduct offensive operations
                (at least that is what the corps' commanders told McClellan). Of those
                two corps' around 25% of the men had less than one month in service.
                Then there is the ammo situation. Small arms ammo was critically short,
                and the AotP was completely out of Parrot ammo. Because of the
                destruction of the B&O bridge the AotP would not be resupplied until the
                evening of the 18th. Finally any attack would again give Lee the
                advantage of defense. At best I don't see how McClellan could have
                believed that any attack on the 18th would be more than a toss up as to
                who would win.

                So the question becomes: should McClellan have taken that gamble and
                attacked on the 18th? Considering what McClellan believe his duty to be
                I would say that he was unjustified in taking the gamble that it
                appeared to be. McClellan's first duty was the protection of
                Washington, and the second was to end the invasion of Maryland (down
                around the end of the list is the destruction of the ANV). By standing
                fast on the 18th, and preparing to attack on the 19th McClellan served
                both those duties. Lee had three options. He could attack, stand, or
                leave. McClellan was ready for any counterattack, he would attack on
                the 19th if Lee stood, and the only place for Lee to go was back to
                Virginia. On the other hand if McClellan had attacked and lost, then
                Lee might have been able to revive his invasion (unlikely in hindsight
                no matter the outcome of the battle). That would mean a failure of both
                the primary and secondary missions. Quite simply if McClellan had
                attacked on the 18th he would have risked everything for the possibility
                of gaining relatively little.

                Jim Rose

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                  Not to entirely rehash this ever-so-familiar topic, but a couple of points:

                  1. You carefully explain all the reasons Mac had for not attacking on the
                  18th, yet state that he intended on attacking anyway. Huh?

                  2. Why did the reasons for not attacking on the 18th not apply to the 17th
                  as well?

> [...]

                  no matter the outcome of the battle). That would mean a failure of both
                  the primary and secondary missions. Quite simply if McClellan had
                  attacked on the 18th he would have risked everything for the possibility
                  of gaining relatively little.

                  Jim Rose

                  Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine) wrote:

                  > I don't think everyone believes McClellan would "automatically" destroy
                  Lee.
                  > But with an advantage in manpower, and facing an opponent that had been
                  > whacked pretty good the day before (and Mac should know this, since _he_
                  was
                  > whacked pretty thoroughly too), and with his back against a river and
                  > nothing but catastrophe awaiting him should the day go against him, was it
                  > _at least_ worth a try?
                  >
                  > I would think even you would have to consider that as a valid choice.

                • James Rose
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                    Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine) wrote:

                    > Not to entirely rehash this ever-so-familiar topic, but a couple of points:
                    >
                    > 1. You carefully explain all the reasons Mac had for not attacking on the
                    > 18th, yet state that he intended on attacking anyway. Huh?

                    Is there a problem with there being a disparity between what McClellan
                    wanted to do and what he felt he was capable of doing? During the
                    evening of the 17th McClellan had determined to attack the following
                    day. The decision not to attack was an evolution of thinking that came
                    with the information he had. The situation didn't change, but
                    McClellan's understanding of it did. After thinking it through he
                    determined to postpone the attack until the 19th. Its called "changing
                    your mind", and people do it from time to time.

                    > 2. Why did the reasons for not attacking on the 18th not apply to the 17th
                    > as well?

                    I would imagine that two important things looked different on the
                    morning of the 18th then they did on the evening of the 17th. First, I
                    don't think that McClellan was aware that the ammunition would be
                    delayed until the morning of the 18th. Second, McClellan probably
                    thought that after marching all night Humphrey's and Couch's men would
                    not be in very good condition to conduct an offensive. Since they
                    constituted close to half of McClellan's available force for the attack,
                    the thought of using them right then may have looked a bit different
                    than in the abstract.

                    Jim Rose
                  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                      >Is there a problem with there being a disparity between what McClellan
                      >wanted to do and what he felt he was capable of doing?

                      Well, yeah. On the face of it, you give very good reasons for not pursuing
                      offensive actions -- in fact, with the lack of ammo, staying put might not
                      even have been such a good idea. With said reasons, he shouldn't even have
                      been considering it under any circumstances. But he was, and it comes
                      closely to sounding like you want to play it both ways: He doesn't fight,
                      but deserves credit for at least thinking about it.

                      >I would imagine that two important things looked different on the
                      >morning of the 18th then they did on the evening of the 17th.

                      I was talking about the morning of the 17th -- if it was a good time to
                      attack then, what changed overnight other than slightly delayed ammo? If
                      there were reasons not to attack on the 18th, I would think they'd apply to
                      the 17th even more.
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                        Jim--

                        I cut your most excellent post to shorten the bandwith for this
                        message but, in essence, I am in agreement with you on your
                        statements.

                        However, I believe there is one very valuable thing that Mac did
                        with respects to Lee that most historians either overlook or
                        simply did not take the time to consider. Harsh goes over this
                        from the viewpoint of what Lee could or could not have done on
                        September 18th in TATF. Essentially, by remaining "in place"
                        where he was on September 18th, Mac effectively shut the door for
                        Lee to continue his Maryland campaign. Hence a large part of the
                        reason for the ANV retreat to Shepherdstown.

                        I wonder, too, if Carman says anything about Mac not attacking on
                        September 18th vis Lee and any plans Lee might have had. IIRC,
                        Lee was all for attacking on September 18th, but his main
                        subordinate commanders were unanimously against it.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Your humble servant,
                        Gerry Mayers
                        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                        Edward Lee
                      • James Rose
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 11, 2001
                          Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine) wrote:

                          > Well, yeah. On the face of it, you give very good reasons for not pursuing
                          > offensive actions -- in fact, with the lack of ammo, staying put might not
                          > even have been such a good idea. With said reasons, he shouldn't even have
                          > been considering it under any circumstances. But he was, and it comes
                          > closely to sounding like you want to play it both ways: He doesn't fight,
                          > but deserves credit for at least thinking about it.

                          McClellan had to stay put. It was absolutely imperative that Lee not be
                          allowed to revive the campaign. As for the ammo situation, if I
                          understand it correctly McClellan thought (on the 17th) that he would be
                          resupplied in time for the attack on the 18th. That didn't happen, and
                          the shipment was delayed until the evening. If you don't want to give
                          McClellan credit for intending to attack on the 18th that's fine. It
                          doesn't actually matter to me. I personally think that McClellan
                          answered the questions about moral cowardice, timidity, and
                          unwillingness to fight on the 17th. The fact that McClellan thought
                          about attacking on the 18th and then changed his mind doesn't mean
                          anything other than he changed his mind.

                          > I was talking about the morning of the 17th -- if it was a good time to
                          > attack then, what changed overnight other than slightly delayed ammo? If
                          > there were reasons not to attack on the 18th, I would think they'd apply to
                          > the 17th even more.

                          Let me see. What changed during the day of the 17th. Let's start with
                          10,000 casualties and go from there. On the morning of the 17th the
                          AotP had 6 intact corps' that were capable of offensive operations. By
                          evening McClellan was reduced to two corps' capable of offensive
                          operations. In the morning there was a full load-out of ammo. By
                          evening there were critical shortages (heavy fighting tends to use up ammo).

                          There were many reasons not to attack on the 17th. I can think of
                          several with straining myself. However, not fighting Lee was out of the
                          question. If McClellan did not bring Lee to battle in Maryland it would
                          have been as damaging, or even more so, than actually losing the AotP.
                          McClellan had to fight Lee at some point, and thanks in part to S.O. 191
                          McClellan thought that the ANV was still separated (at least somewhat).
                          That means that on the 17th McClellan thought that the odds were
                          probably as good as they were going to get. Therefore, he attacked.
                          There were many reasons not to attack, but more overriding ones to
                          attack on the 17th. By evening those overriding reasons had been muted
                          by the battle (i.e. a bloodied ANV leaving Maryland is very different
                          than an unscratched ANV leaving Maryland).

                          Jim Rose
                        • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 12, 2001
                            >Let me see. What changed during the day of the 17th. Let's start with
                            >10,000 casualties and go from there.

                            Let me see. I guess all the Yankee bullets missed their marks.

                            Where was this paralyzing lack of ammo in all of our other discussions? Has
                            Dr. Harsh written another book?
                          • James Rose
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 12, 2001

                              Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine) wrote:
                              Let me see.  What changed during the day of the 17th.  Let's start with
                              10,000 casualties and go from there.

                              Let me see. I guess all the Yankee bullets missed their marks.
                              You do realize that McClellan had no real idea of how badly the Confederates were hurt during the battle.  He could make an educated guess, but that is it.  Basically what you are saying sounds like a paraphrase from a famous politician that goes something like this "Yes your troops are hurt, but so are they.  You are all hurt together."  McClellan understood something that apparently a lot of people miss.  It is easier to defend than it is to attack.  So on the 18th McClellan would only be able to attack with part of his army, but Lee would be able to defend with his entire army.

                              Where was this paralyzing lack of ammo in all of our other discussions? Has
                              Dr. Harsh written another book?

                              Have you read "Taken at the Flood" yet?  As for our other discussions, this is the first time I've been on these groups that I have joined in on a discussion of why McClellan didn't attack on the 18th.  That is why I've never mentioned it.  I've also never said that the ammo situation was "paralyzing".  That word has connotations that do not fit in this instance.  I said that he was critically short of ammo.  Sears acknowledges that lack of Parrot rounds even as he dismisses it as meaningless.  I think that the loss of the 20lb Parrots is far from meaningless.  They represented over 10% of the artillery pieces, and as the largest caliber they probably represented a higher percentage in actual combat power.  Considering that artillery is the one branch that McClellan knows is superior in all respects to the Confederates, such a loss is far from trivial.

                              Jim Rose