Re: 99 Places Every Guide Should Know

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 11 , May 11, 2005
      Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
      Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
      locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
      some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
      listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
      as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
      multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
      start point.

      Ron Dickey

      01. Where S.O. 191 was found
      02. Harper's Ferry Markers
      03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
      04. Bolivar Heights
      05. Maryland Heights
      06. Loundoun Heights
      07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
      08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
      09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
      10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
      11. Miller's Sawmill Road
      12. Marameade
      13. Henry Shoemaker House
      14. Stone House
      15. Mountain House
      16. Turner's Gap markers
      17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
      18. Reno and Garland monuments
      19. NC monument at Fox Gap
      20. Crampton's Gap markers
      21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
      22. Upper Bridge
      23. Middle Bridge
      24. Lower Bridge
      25. Pry Ford
      26. Snavely Ford
      27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
      28. Stop 2 – North Woods
      29. Stop 3 – East Woods
      30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
      31. Stop 5 – West Woods
      32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
      33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
      34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
      35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
      36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
      37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
      38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
      39. Starke Cannon
      40. Anderson Cannon
      41. Richardson Cannon
      42. Branch Cannon
      43. Rodman Cannon
      44. Clara Barton Monument
      45. Lee Statue
      46. McKinley Monument
      47. Old Simmon
      48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
      49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
      50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
      51. Line Farm
      52. S. Poffenberger Farm
      53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
      54. Roulette Beehives
      55. Clipp House
      56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
      57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
      58. Newcomer House and Barn
      59. Newcomer Mill
      60. Pry Mill
      61. Stone Mill
      62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
      63. Otto House
      64. Otto's Plowed Field
      65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
      66. Otto's Lane
      67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
      68. The Narrow Cornfield
      69. The Reel Barn
      70. Nicodemus Heights
      71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
      72. Cemetery Hill
      73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
      74. Hauser Ridge
      75. Elk Ridge
      76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
      before attacking
      77. Kimball's Knoll
      78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
      Hagerstown Pike
      79. Pry House
      80. Lee's headquarters
      81. Jacob Grove House
      82. Original location of Lutheran Church
      83. Kretzer House
      84. Stephen P. Grove House
      85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
      86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
      87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
      88. Maryland State Monument
      89. Indiana State Monument
      90. New Jersey State Monument
      91. New York State Monument
      92. Massachusetts State Monument
      93. Georgia State Monument
      94. Texas State Monument
      95. Irish Brigade Monument
      96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
      97. 11th Connecticut Monument
      98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
      99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
      100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
      > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
      >
      > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
      > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
      > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
      > Old Simon, etc)
      > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
      > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
      > + Lee & McClellan HQs
      > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
      > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
      > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
      > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
      > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
      > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
      > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
      > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
      > more?)
      >
      > Brian
      >

      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
      > > Stephen,
      > >
      > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
      > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
      > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
      > >
      > > Some suggestions:
      > >
      > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
      > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
      > granite drum)
      > > Old Simon
      > > Stetson Marker
      > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
      > > Mary Locher Farm
      > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
      > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
      > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
      > >
      > > Tom Shay

    • dickeyr46
      Message 2 of 11 , May 11, 2005
        Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
        narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

        Ron Dickey