Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour Guides Test

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2005
      Stephen,

      Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
      interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

    • dickeyr46
      Message 2 of 11 , May 11, 2005
        Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
        Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
        locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
        some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
        listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
        as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
        multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
        start point.

        Ron Dickey

        01. Where S.O. 191 was found
        02. Harper's Ferry Markers
        03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
        04. Bolivar Heights
        05. Maryland Heights
        06. Loundoun Heights
        07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
        08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
        09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
        10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
        11. Miller's Sawmill Road
        12. Marameade
        13. Henry Shoemaker House
        14. Stone House
        15. Mountain House
        16. Turner's Gap markers
        17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
        18. Reno and Garland monuments
        19. NC monument at Fox Gap
        20. Crampton's Gap markers
        21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
        22. Upper Bridge
        23. Middle Bridge
        24. Lower Bridge
        25. Pry Ford
        26. Snavely Ford
        27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
        28. Stop 2 – North Woods
        29. Stop 3 – East Woods
        30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
        31. Stop 5 – West Woods
        32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
        33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
        34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
        35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
        36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
        37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
        38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
        39. Starke Cannon
        40. Anderson Cannon
        41. Richardson Cannon
        42. Branch Cannon
        43. Rodman Cannon
        44. Clara Barton Monument
        45. Lee Statue
        46. McKinley Monument
        47. Old Simmon
        48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
        49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
        50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
        51. Line Farm
        52. S. Poffenberger Farm
        53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
        54. Roulette Beehives
        55. Clipp House
        56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
        57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
        58. Newcomer House and Barn
        59. Newcomer Mill
        60. Pry Mill
        61. Stone Mill
        62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
        63. Otto House
        64. Otto's Plowed Field
        65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
        66. Otto's Lane
        67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
        68. The Narrow Cornfield
        69. The Reel Barn
        70. Nicodemus Heights
        71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
        72. Cemetery Hill
        73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
        74. Hauser Ridge
        75. Elk Ridge
        76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
        before attacking
        77. Kimball's Knoll
        78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
        Hagerstown Pike
        79. Pry House
        80. Lee's headquarters
        81. Jacob Grove House
        82. Original location of Lutheran Church
        83. Kretzer House
        84. Stephen P. Grove House
        85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
        86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
        87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
        88. Maryland State Monument
        89. Indiana State Monument
        90. New Jersey State Monument
        91. New York State Monument
        92. Massachusetts State Monument
        93. Georgia State Monument
        94. Texas State Monument
        95. Irish Brigade Monument
        96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
        97. 11th Connecticut Monument
        98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
        99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
        100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
        > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
        >
        > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
        > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
        > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
        > Old Simon, etc)
        > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
        > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
        > + Lee & McClellan HQs
        > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
        > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
        > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
        > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
        > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
        > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
        > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
        > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
        > more?)
        >
        > Brian
        >

        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
        > > Stephen,
        > >
        > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
        > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
        > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
        > >
        > > Some suggestions:
        > >
        > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
        > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
        > granite drum)
        > > Old Simon
        > > Stetson Marker
        > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
        > > Mary Locher Farm
        > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
        > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
        > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
        > >
        > > Tom Shay

      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 11 , May 11, 2005
          Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
          narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

          Ron Dickey