Re: 99 Places Every Guide Should Know

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2005
      Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

      + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
      + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
      + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
      Old Simon, etc)
      + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
      Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
      + Lee & McClellan HQs
      + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
      Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
      + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
      + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
      + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
      + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
      (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
      Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
      more?)

      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
      > Stephen,
      >
      > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
      Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
      this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

      > Some suggestions:
      >
      > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
      > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
      granite drum)
      > Old Simon
      > Stetson Marker
      > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
      > Mary Locher Farm
      > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
      > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
      cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2005
        Stephen,

        Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
        interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 11 , May 11, 2005
          Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
          Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
          locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
          some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
          listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
          as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
          multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
          start point.

          Ron Dickey

          01. Where S.O. 191 was found
          02. Harper's Ferry Markers
          03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
          04. Bolivar Heights
          05. Maryland Heights
          06. Loundoun Heights
          07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
          08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
          09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
          10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
          11. Miller's Sawmill Road
          12. Marameade
          13. Henry Shoemaker House
          14. Stone House
          15. Mountain House
          16. Turner's Gap markers
          17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
          18. Reno and Garland monuments
          19. NC monument at Fox Gap
          20. Crampton's Gap markers
          21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
          22. Upper Bridge
          23. Middle Bridge
          24. Lower Bridge
          25. Pry Ford
          26. Snavely Ford
          27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
          28. Stop 2 – North Woods
          29. Stop 3 – East Woods
          30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
          31. Stop 5 – West Woods
          32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
          33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
          34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
          35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
          36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
          37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
          38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
          39. Starke Cannon
          40. Anderson Cannon
          41. Richardson Cannon
          42. Branch Cannon
          43. Rodman Cannon
          44. Clara Barton Monument
          45. Lee Statue
          46. McKinley Monument
          47. Old Simmon
          48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
          49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
          50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
          51. Line Farm
          52. S. Poffenberger Farm
          53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
          54. Roulette Beehives
          55. Clipp House
          56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
          57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
          58. Newcomer House and Barn
          59. Newcomer Mill
          60. Pry Mill
          61. Stone Mill
          62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
          63. Otto House
          64. Otto's Plowed Field
          65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
          66. Otto's Lane
          67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
          68. The Narrow Cornfield
          69. The Reel Barn
          70. Nicodemus Heights
          71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
          72. Cemetery Hill
          73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
          74. Hauser Ridge
          75. Elk Ridge
          76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
          before attacking
          77. Kimball's Knoll
          78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
          Hagerstown Pike
          79. Pry House
          80. Lee's headquarters
          81. Jacob Grove House
          82. Original location of Lutheran Church
          83. Kretzer House
          84. Stephen P. Grove House
          85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
          86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
          87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
          88. Maryland State Monument
          89. Indiana State Monument
          90. New Jersey State Monument
          91. New York State Monument
          92. Massachusetts State Monument
          93. Georgia State Monument
          94. Texas State Monument
          95. Irish Brigade Monument
          96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
          97. 11th Connecticut Monument
          98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
          99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
          100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
          > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
          >
          > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
          > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
          > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
          > Old Simon, etc)
          > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
          > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
          > + Lee & McClellan HQs
          > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
          > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
          > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
          > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
          > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
          > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
          > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
          > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
          > more?)
          >
          > Brian
          >

          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
          > > Stephen,
          > >
          > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
          > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
          > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
          > >
          > > Some suggestions:
          > >
          > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
          > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
          > granite drum)
          > > Old Simon
          > > Stetson Marker
          > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
          > > Mary Locher Farm
          > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
          > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
          > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
          > >
          > > Tom Shay

        • dickeyr46
          Message 4 of 11 , May 11, 2005
            Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
            narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

            Ron Dickey