Re: [TalkAntietam] Help me Title my BOOK!

    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2005
      Richard,

      How about Slaughter at the Wall?

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <richard@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 7:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Help me Title my BOOK!

      > Okay -- the manuscript has been sitting on my editor's desk for almost a
      > year -- collecting dust. And NOW he tells me they don't like the title
      > and
      > he needs a new one ASAP.
      > First -- it's "history as fiction." Secondly -- it's about
      > Fredericksburg.
      > And thirdly -- they want it to have some sort of (now get this) positive
      > connotation. The old title was "A Place Worse than Hell" (which actually
      > refers not to the battlefield, but to the White House, but be that as it
      > may...) I've told them that, much like Henry Villard, I have nothing
      > positive to report on Fredericksburg, but they want something about
      > Freedom
      > or Glory or Valor. It shouldn't be hard, but I'm beating my head against
      > wall (so to speak) trying to come up with something. Any ideas??????
      > BTW -- as in "To Make Men Free," the Emancipation Proclamation plays a
      > pivitol role.
      >
      > Richard Croker
      > www.rcroker.com

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2005
        Oh yeah, Gerry. That's REAL positive.

        Richard, try "The Glorious Valor of Freedom". That sounds sophomoric enough
        to satisfy even the most enlightened editor.

        Harry

        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2005
          Harry,

          It is all about grabbing the attention of the prospective reader.........

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          > Richard, try "The Glorious Valor of Freedom". That sounds sophomoric
          > enough
          > to satisfy even the most enlightened editor.
          >

          > Harry

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2005
            You'd think that Gerry, except as Richard points out, his publisher wants
            something positive.

            _____

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2005
              Are you ready for THIS? They turned down "The Alter of Freedom" because it
              sounds too "religious."

              My stomach hurts. (sigh)

              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 2005
                How about "When Valor Is Not Enough"

                >>> richard@... 05/06/05 9:32 AM >>>
              • Brian Morris
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6, 2005
                  Ok, here's a few

                  "Of Glory and Valor"
                  "The worst place in the world"
                  "For freedom not glory"
                  "For duty and freedom"
                  "For duty, For freedom"
                  "Not for Glory"

                  Brian

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 6, 2005

                    That's what they're looking for. I'll run it by 'em.

                    Richard