Re: [TalkAntietam] Help me Title my BOOK!

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 4:19 AM
      Okay -- the manuscript has been sitting on my editor's desk for almost a
      year -- collecting dust. And NOW he tells me they don't like the title and
      he needs a new one ASAP.
      First -- it's "history as fiction." Secondly -- it's about Fredericksburg.
      And thirdly -- they want it to have some sort of (now get this) positive
      connotation. The old title was "A Place Worse than Hell" (which actually
      refers not to the battlefield, but to the White House, but be that as it
      may...) I've told them that, much like Henry Villard, I have nothing
      positive to report on Fredericksburg, but they want something about Freedom
      or Glory or Valor. It shouldn't be hard, but I'm beating my head against a
      wall (so to speak) trying to come up with something. Any ideas??????
      BTW -- as in "To Make Men Free," the Emancipation Proclamation plays a
      pivitol role.

      Richard Croker
      www.rcroker.com

      Message 2 of 9 , May 6 5:43 AM
        Richard,

        How about Slaughter at the Wall?

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        > Okay -- the manuscript has been sitting on my editor's desk for almost a
        > year -- collecting dust. And NOW he tells me they don't like the title
        > and
        > he needs a new one ASAP.
        > First -- it's "history as fiction." Secondly -- it's about
        > Fredericksburg.
        > And thirdly -- they want it to have some sort of (now get this) positive
        > connotation. The old title was "A Place Worse than Hell" (which actually
        > refers not to the battlefield, but to the White House, but be that as it
        > may...) I've told them that, much like Henry Villard, I have nothing
        > positive to report on Fredericksburg, but they want something about
        > Freedom
        > or Glory or Valor. It shouldn't be hard, but I'm beating my head against
        > wall (so to speak) trying to come up with something. Any ideas??????
        > BTW -- as in "To Make Men Free," the Emancipation Proclamation plays a
        > pivitol role.
        >
        > Richard Croker
        > www.rcroker.com

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6 5:47 AM
          Oh yeah, Gerry. That's REAL positive.

          Richard, try "The Glorious Valor of Freedom". That sounds sophomoric enough
          to satisfy even the most enlightened editor.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 9 , May 6 5:50 AM
            Harry,

            It is all about grabbing the attention of the prospective reader.........

            Very respectfully,
            G E "Gerry" Mayers
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            > Richard, try "The Glorious Valor of Freedom". That sounds sophomoric
            > enough
            > to satisfy even the most enlightened editor.
            >

            > Harry

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6 5:56 AM
              You'd think that Gerry, except as Richard points out, his publisher wants
              something positive.

              _____

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6 6:32 AM
                Are you ready for THIS? They turned down "The Alter of Freedom" because it
                sounds too "religious."

                My stomach hurts. (sigh)

                Message 7 of 9 , May 6 8:25 AM
                  How about "When Valor Is Not Enough"

                  >>> richard@... 05/06/05 9:32 AM >>>
                • Brian Morris
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 6 11:39 AM
                    Ok, here's a few

                    "Of Glory and Valor"
                    "The worst place in the world"
                    "For freedom not glory"
                    "For duty and freedom"
                    "For duty, For freedom"
                    "Not for Glory"

                    Brian

                  • richard@rcroker.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6 1:12 PM

                      That's what they're looking for. I'll run it by 'em.

                      Richard