Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour Guides Test

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2005
      Stephen,

      The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

      Some suggestions:

      Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
      Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with granite drum)
      Old Simon
      Stetson Marker
      The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
      Mary Locher Farm
      Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
      Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2005
        Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

        + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
        + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
        + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
        Old Simon, etc)
        + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
        Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
        + Lee & McClellan HQs
        + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
        Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
        + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
        + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
        + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
        + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
        (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
        Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
        more?)

        Brian

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2005
          Stephen,

          Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
          interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

        • dickeyr46
          Message 4 of 11 , May 11, 2005
            Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
            Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
            locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
            some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
            listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
            as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
            multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
            start point.

            Ron Dickey

            01. Where S.O. 191 was found
            02. Harper's Ferry Markers
            03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
            04. Bolivar Heights
            05. Maryland Heights
            06. Loundoun Heights
            07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
            08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
            09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
            10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
            11. Miller's Sawmill Road
            12. Marameade
            13. Henry Shoemaker House
            14. Stone House
            15. Mountain House
            16. Turner's Gap markers
            17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
            18. Reno and Garland monuments
            19. NC monument at Fox Gap
            20. Crampton's Gap markers
            21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
            22. Upper Bridge
            23. Middle Bridge
            24. Lower Bridge
            25. Pry Ford
            26. Snavely Ford
            27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
            28. Stop 2 – North Woods
            29. Stop 3 – East Woods
            30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
            31. Stop 5 – West Woods
            32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
            33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
            34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
            35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
            36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
            37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
            38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
            39. Starke Cannon
            40. Anderson Cannon
            41. Richardson Cannon
            42. Branch Cannon
            43. Rodman Cannon
            44. Clara Barton Monument
            45. Lee Statue
            46. McKinley Monument
            47. Old Simmon
            48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
            49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
            50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
            51. Line Farm
            52. S. Poffenberger Farm
            53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
            54. Roulette Beehives
            55. Clipp House
            56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
            57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
            58. Newcomer House and Barn
            59. Newcomer Mill
            60. Pry Mill
            61. Stone Mill
            62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
            63. Otto House
            64. Otto's Plowed Field
            65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
            66. Otto's Lane
            67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
            68. The Narrow Cornfield
            69. The Reel Barn
            70. Nicodemus Heights
            71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
            72. Cemetery Hill
            73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
            74. Hauser Ridge
            75. Elk Ridge
            76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
            before attacking
            77. Kimball's Knoll
            78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
            Hagerstown Pike
            79. Pry House
            80. Lee's headquarters
            81. Jacob Grove House
            82. Original location of Lutheran Church
            83. Kretzer House
            84. Stephen P. Grove House
            85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
            86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
            87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
            88. Maryland State Monument
            89. Indiana State Monument
            90. New Jersey State Monument
            91. New York State Monument
            92. Massachusetts State Monument
            93. Georgia State Monument
            94. Texas State Monument
            95. Irish Brigade Monument
            96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
            97. 11th Connecticut Monument
            98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
            99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
            100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
            > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
            >
            > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
            > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
            > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
            > Old Simon, etc)
            > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
            > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
            > + Lee & McClellan HQs
            > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
            > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
            > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
            > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
            > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
            > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
            > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
            > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
            > more?)
            >
            > Brian
            >

            > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
            > > Stephen,
            > >
            > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
            > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
            > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
            > >
            > > Some suggestions:
            > >
            > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
            > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
            > granite drum)
            > > Old Simon
            > > Stetson Marker
            > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
            > > Mary Locher Farm
            > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
            > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
            > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
            > >
            > > Tom Shay

          • dickeyr46
            Message 5 of 11 , May 11, 2005
              Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
              narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

              Ron Dickey