Stuart Horse Artillery Organization?

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 2:20 PM
      warning: minutae ahead.

      ********

      I see that a new book about James Breathed
      (http://www.savasbeatie.com/Breathed.html) is due out from David
      Bridges about the end of May. Breathed was a Confederate artillerist
      of high reputation, and I'm beginning to think he commanded a battery
      at Sharpsburg. I and the OR (see
      http://aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=200 and OR Vol IX Part 1 - Ser
      #19, pg. 810.) may have missed him.

      Robert H. Moore II, author in the Va Regimental History series, says
      that what I've been referring to as Pelham's Battery was split into
      two batteries in August 1862 and Breathed commanded the First of them
      (see http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/1850/shabattalion.html).

      So here's how I think Stuart's (Pelham's) arty organization may have
      looked in September 1862:

      Stuart's Horse Artillery
      (Capt/Maj John Pelham)

      1st Battery, Stuart's Horse Art'y
      (Capt James Breathed)

      2nd Battery, Stuart's Horse Art'y
      (Capt Mathias W. Henry)

      ... these two batteries possibly dividing (how?) the guns of the
      former Pelham's Battery, vis:
      2 Napoleon
      2 3-in. Ordnance Rifle
      5 Artillery of Unknown Type(s)

      Washington (SC) Battery
      (Capt James F. Hart)
      4 Blakely

      Chew's Battery/Ashby Artillery
      (Capt Preston Chew)
      1 Blakely
      1 12-lb. Howitzer
      2 3-in. Ordnance Rifle (maybe 3)

      [Gun numbers and types from Johnson & Anderson's "Artillery Hell"]

      Hart's and Chew's attached for command purposes. Batteries later
      assigned to Gen Stuart operationally during the day included Poague's,
      Pegram's, and Carrington's, and maybe others.

      *******

      Comments? Am I out to lunch? Have I got this right? Good ideas for
      places to look to verify?

      Thanks,
      Brian