Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour Guides Test

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2005

      Thanks for the interest. Yes, there will be other dates. I imagine we
      will test in another month or two. Please send me a note to
      recker@... with an idea when you might be
      available. Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2005
        Stephen,

        The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

        Some suggestions:

        Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
        Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with granite drum)
        Old Simon
        Stetson Marker
        The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
        Mary Locher Farm
        Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
        Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2005
          Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

          + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
          + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
          + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
          Old Simon, etc)
          + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
          Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
          + Lee & McClellan HQs
          + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
          Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
          + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
          + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
          + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
          + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
          (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
          Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
          more?)

          Brian

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2005
            Stephen,

            Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
            interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

          • dickeyr46
            Message 5 of 11 , May 11, 2005
              Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
              Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
              locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
              some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
              listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
              as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
              multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
              start point.

              Ron Dickey

              01. Where S.O. 191 was found
              02. Harper's Ferry Markers
              03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
              04. Bolivar Heights
              05. Maryland Heights
              06. Loundoun Heights
              07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
              08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
              09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
              10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
              11. Miller's Sawmill Road
              12. Marameade
              13. Henry Shoemaker House
              14. Stone House
              15. Mountain House
              16. Turner's Gap markers
              17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
              18. Reno and Garland monuments
              19. NC monument at Fox Gap
              20. Crampton's Gap markers
              21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
              22. Upper Bridge
              23. Middle Bridge
              24. Lower Bridge
              25. Pry Ford
              26. Snavely Ford
              27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
              28. Stop 2 – North Woods
              29. Stop 3 – East Woods
              30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
              31. Stop 5 – West Woods
              32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
              33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
              34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
              35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
              36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
              37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
              38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
              39. Starke Cannon
              40. Anderson Cannon
              41. Richardson Cannon
              42. Branch Cannon
              43. Rodman Cannon
              44. Clara Barton Monument
              45. Lee Statue
              46. McKinley Monument
              47. Old Simmon
              48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
              49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
              50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
              51. Line Farm
              52. S. Poffenberger Farm
              53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
              54. Roulette Beehives
              55. Clipp House
              56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
              57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
              58. Newcomer House and Barn
              59. Newcomer Mill
              60. Pry Mill
              61. Stone Mill
              62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
              63. Otto House
              64. Otto's Plowed Field
              65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
              66. Otto's Lane
              67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
              68. The Narrow Cornfield
              69. The Reel Barn
              70. Nicodemus Heights
              71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
              72. Cemetery Hill
              73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
              74. Hauser Ridge
              75. Elk Ridge
              76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
              before attacking
              77. Kimball's Knoll
              78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
              Hagerstown Pike
              79. Pry House
              80. Lee's headquarters
              81. Jacob Grove House
              82. Original location of Lutheran Church
              83. Kretzer House
              84. Stephen P. Grove House
              85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
              86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
              87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
              88. Maryland State Monument
              89. Indiana State Monument
              90. New Jersey State Monument
              91. New York State Monument
              92. Massachusetts State Monument
              93. Georgia State Monument
              94. Texas State Monument
              95. Irish Brigade Monument
              96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
              97. 11th Connecticut Monument
              98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
              99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
              100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
              > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
              >
              > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
              > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
              > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
              > Old Simon, etc)
              > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
              > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
              > + Lee & McClellan HQs
              > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
              > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
              > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
              > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
              > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
              > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
              > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
              > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
              > more?)
              >
              > Brian
              >

              > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
              > > Stephen,
              > >
              > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
              > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
              > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
              > >
              > > Some suggestions:
              > >
              > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
              > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
              > granite drum)
              > > Old Simon
              > > Stetson Marker
              > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
              > > Mary Locher Farm
              > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
              > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
              > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
              > >
              > > Tom Shay

            • dickeyr46
              Message 6 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
                narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

                Ron Dickey