Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Tour Guides Test

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2005
      Stephen,

      If I did not have already made plans for that day, I would take the test.

      Do you know if there will be other dates?

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2005

        Thanks for the interest. Yes, there will be other dates. I imagine we
        will test in another month or two. Please send me a note to
        recker@... with an idea when you might be
        available. Thanks.

        Stephen Recker

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2005
          Stephen,

          The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

          Some suggestions:

          Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
          Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with granite drum)
          Old Simon
          Stetson Marker
          The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
          Mary Locher Farm
          Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
          Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2005
            Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

            + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
            + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
            + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
            Old Simon, etc)
            + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
            Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
            + Lee & McClellan HQs
            + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
            Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
            + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
            + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
            + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
            + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
            (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
            Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
            more?)

            Brian

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2005
              Stephen,

              Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
              interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

            • dickeyr46
              Message 6 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
                Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
                locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
                some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
                listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
                as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
                multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
                start point.

                Ron Dickey

                01. Where S.O. 191 was found
                02. Harper's Ferry Markers
                03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
                04. Bolivar Heights
                05. Maryland Heights
                06. Loundoun Heights
                07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
                08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
                09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
                10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
                11. Miller's Sawmill Road
                12. Marameade
                13. Henry Shoemaker House
                14. Stone House
                15. Mountain House
                16. Turner's Gap markers
                17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
                18. Reno and Garland monuments
                19. NC monument at Fox Gap
                20. Crampton's Gap markers
                21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
                22. Upper Bridge
                23. Middle Bridge
                24. Lower Bridge
                25. Pry Ford
                26. Snavely Ford
                27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
                28. Stop 2 – North Woods
                29. Stop 3 – East Woods
                30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
                31. Stop 5 – West Woods
                32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
                33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
                34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
                35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
                36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
                37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
                38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
                39. Starke Cannon
                40. Anderson Cannon
                41. Richardson Cannon
                42. Branch Cannon
                43. Rodman Cannon
                44. Clara Barton Monument
                45. Lee Statue
                46. McKinley Monument
                47. Old Simmon
                48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
                49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
                50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
                51. Line Farm
                52. S. Poffenberger Farm
                53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
                54. Roulette Beehives
                55. Clipp House
                56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
                57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
                58. Newcomer House and Barn
                59. Newcomer Mill
                60. Pry Mill
                61. Stone Mill
                62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
                63. Otto House
                64. Otto's Plowed Field
                65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
                66. Otto's Lane
                67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
                68. The Narrow Cornfield
                69. The Reel Barn
                70. Nicodemus Heights
                71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
                72. Cemetery Hill
                73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
                74. Hauser Ridge
                75. Elk Ridge
                76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
                before attacking
                77. Kimball's Knoll
                78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
                Hagerstown Pike
                79. Pry House
                80. Lee's headquarters
                81. Jacob Grove House
                82. Original location of Lutheran Church
                83. Kretzer House
                84. Stephen P. Grove House
                85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
                86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
                87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
                88. Maryland State Monument
                89. Indiana State Monument
                90. New Jersey State Monument
                91. New York State Monument
                92. Massachusetts State Monument
                93. Georgia State Monument
                94. Texas State Monument
                95. Irish Brigade Monument
                96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
                97. 11th Connecticut Monument
                98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
                99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
                100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
                > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
                >
                > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                > Old Simon, etc)
                > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                > + Lee & McClellan HQs
                > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                > more?)
                >
                > Brian
                >

                > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
                > > Stephen,
                > >
                > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
                > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
                > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
                > >
                > > Some suggestions:
                > >
                > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
                > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
                > granite drum)
                > > Old Simon
                > > Stetson Marker
                > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
                > > Mary Locher Farm
                > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
                > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
                > >
                > > Tom Shay

              • dickeyr46
                Message 7 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                  Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
                  narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

                  Ron Dickey