Antietam Tour Guides Test

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5 9:13 AM
      Antietam Tours, in cooperation with Western Maryland Interpretive
      Association, the Antietam National Battlefield's non-profit, is
      launching a program to offer tested tour guides to visitors to the
      battlefield at Sharpsburg. Those who wish to be guides can read about
      the program at:

      www.virtualantietam.com/guides/AntietamTourGuideFAQ.pdf

      There is a written and an oral test. The first written test will be
      given at the park on Saturday, May 14, 2005 from 10am to noon. If you
      have any questions or wish to sign up to take the test, please contact
      me directly, either by email or by phone. Thanks.

      Regards,
      Stephen Recker
      Interactive Producer

      Another Software Miracle
      P.O. Box 705
      Sharpsburg, MD 21782
      240-217-3664
      800-417-9596
      815-327-3781 (fax)

      http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
      http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
      http://www.virtualantietam.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 9:17 AM
        Stephen,

        If I did not have already made plans for that day, I would take the test.

        Do you know if there will be other dates?

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 9:40 AM

          Thanks for the interest. Yes, there will be other dates. I imagine we
          will test in another month or two. Please send me a note to
          recker@... with an idea when you might be
          available. Thanks.

          Stephen Recker

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6 3:58 AM
            Stephen,

            The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

            Some suggestions:

            Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
            Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with granite drum)
            Old Simon
            Stetson Marker
            The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
            Mary Locher Farm
            Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
            Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6 10:20 AM
              Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

              + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
              + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
              + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
              Old Simon, etc)
              + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
              Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
              + Lee & McClellan HQs
              + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
              Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
              + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
              + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
              + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
              + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
              (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
              Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
              more?)

              Brian

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6 7:16 PM
                Stephen,

                Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
                interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

              • dickeyr46
                Message 7 of 11 , May 11 4:30 AM
                  Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
                  Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
                  locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
                  some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
                  listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
                  as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
                  multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
                  start point.

                  Ron Dickey

                  01. Where S.O. 191 was found
                  02. Harper's Ferry Markers
                  03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
                  04. Bolivar Heights
                  05. Maryland Heights
                  06. Loundoun Heights
                  07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
                  08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
                  09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
                  10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
                  11. Miller's Sawmill Road
                  12. Marameade
                  13. Henry Shoemaker House
                  14. Stone House
                  15. Mountain House
                  16. Turner's Gap markers
                  17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
                  18. Reno and Garland monuments
                  19. NC monument at Fox Gap
                  20. Crampton's Gap markers
                  21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
                  22. Upper Bridge
                  23. Middle Bridge
                  24. Lower Bridge
                  25. Pry Ford
                  26. Snavely Ford
                  27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
                  28. Stop 2 – North Woods
                  29. Stop 3 – East Woods
                  30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
                  31. Stop 5 – West Woods
                  32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
                  33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
                  34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
                  35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
                  36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
                  37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
                  38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
                  39. Starke Cannon
                  40. Anderson Cannon
                  41. Richardson Cannon
                  42. Branch Cannon
                  43. Rodman Cannon
                  44. Clara Barton Monument
                  45. Lee Statue
                  46. McKinley Monument
                  47. Old Simmon
                  48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
                  49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
                  50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
                  51. Line Farm
                  52. S. Poffenberger Farm
                  53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
                  54. Roulette Beehives
                  55. Clipp House
                  56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
                  57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
                  58. Newcomer House and Barn
                  59. Newcomer Mill
                  60. Pry Mill
                  61. Stone Mill
                  62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
                  63. Otto House
                  64. Otto's Plowed Field
                  65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
                  66. Otto's Lane
                  67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
                  68. The Narrow Cornfield
                  69. The Reel Barn
                  70. Nicodemus Heights
                  71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
                  72. Cemetery Hill
                  73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
                  74. Hauser Ridge
                  75. Elk Ridge
                  76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
                  before attacking
                  77. Kimball's Knoll
                  78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
                  Hagerstown Pike
                  79. Pry House
                  80. Lee's headquarters
                  81. Jacob Grove House
                  82. Original location of Lutheran Church
                  83. Kretzer House
                  84. Stephen P. Grove House
                  85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
                  86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
                  87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
                  88. Maryland State Monument
                  89. Indiana State Monument
                  90. New Jersey State Monument
                  91. New York State Monument
                  92. Massachusetts State Monument
                  93. Georgia State Monument
                  94. Texas State Monument
                  95. Irish Brigade Monument
                  96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
                  97. 11th Connecticut Monument
                  98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
                  99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
                  100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
                  > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
                  >
                  > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                  > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                  > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                  > Old Simon, etc)
                  > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                  > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                  > + Lee & McClellan HQs
                  > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                  > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                  > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                  > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                  > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                  > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                  > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                  > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                  > more?)
                  >
                  > Brian
                  >

                  > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
                  > > Stephen,
                  > >
                  > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
                  > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
                  > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
                  > >
                  > > Some suggestions:
                  > >
                  > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
                  > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
                  > granite drum)
                  > > Old Simon
                  > > Stetson Marker
                  > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
                  > > Mary Locher Farm
                  > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                  > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
                  > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
                  > >
                  > > Tom Shay

                • dickeyr46
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 11 6:49 AM
                    Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
                    narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

                    Ron Dickey