Re: [TalkAntietam] Brian Pohanka Sad News

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2005
      I don't know Brian Pohanka personally (I have met the man only briefly on
      one occasion) but from my understanding he has been fighting a long term
      battle with cancer. As many of you know Brian Pohanka is most well known for
      his time as a commentator on the History Channel show Civil War Journal. His
      contributions to the civil war community are to numerous to list but span
      everything from the literary world to battlefield preservation,
      re-enactment, lecturing and even adviser on such films as Gettysburg and
      Cold Mountain.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2005
        Antietam Tours, in cooperation with Western Maryland Interpretive
        Association, the Antietam National Battlefield's non-profit, is
        launching a program to offer tested tour guides to visitors to the
        battlefield at Sharpsburg. Those who wish to be guides can read about
        the program at:

        www.virtualantietam.com/guides/AntietamTourGuideFAQ.pdf

        There is a written and an oral test. The first written test will be
        given at the park on Saturday, May 14, 2005 from 10am to noon. If you
        have any questions or wish to sign up to take the test, please contact
        me directly, either by email or by phone. Thanks.

        Regards,
        Stephen Recker
        Interactive Producer

        Another Software Miracle
        P.O. Box 705
        Sharpsburg, MD 21782
        240-217-3664
        800-417-9596
        815-327-3781 (fax)

        http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
        http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
        http://www.virtualantietam.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2005
          Stephen,

          If I did not have already made plans for that day, I would take the test.

          Do you know if there will be other dates?

          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2005

            Thanks for the interest. Yes, there will be other dates. I imagine we
            will test in another month or two. Please send me a note to
            recker@... with an idea when you might be
            available. Thanks.

            Stephen Recker

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2005
              Stephen,

              The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

              Some suggestions:

              Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
              Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with granite drum)
              Old Simon
              Stetson Marker
              The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
              Mary Locher Farm
              Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
              Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

            • Brian Downey
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

                + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                Old Simon, etc)
                + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                + Lee & McClellan HQs
                + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                more?)

                Brian

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                  Stephen,

                  Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
                  interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

                • dickeyr46
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                    Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
                    Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
                    locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
                    some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
                    listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
                    as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
                    multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
                    start point.

                    Ron Dickey

                    01. Where S.O. 191 was found
                    02. Harper's Ferry Markers
                    03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
                    04. Bolivar Heights
                    05. Maryland Heights
                    06. Loundoun Heights
                    07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
                    08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
                    09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
                    10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
                    11. Miller's Sawmill Road
                    12. Marameade
                    13. Henry Shoemaker House
                    14. Stone House
                    15. Mountain House
                    16. Turner's Gap markers
                    17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
                    18. Reno and Garland monuments
                    19. NC monument at Fox Gap
                    20. Crampton's Gap markers
                    21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
                    22. Upper Bridge
                    23. Middle Bridge
                    24. Lower Bridge
                    25. Pry Ford
                    26. Snavely Ford
                    27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
                    28. Stop 2 – North Woods
                    29. Stop 3 – East Woods
                    30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
                    31. Stop 5 – West Woods
                    32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
                    33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
                    34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
                    35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
                    36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
                    37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
                    38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
                    39. Starke Cannon
                    40. Anderson Cannon
                    41. Richardson Cannon
                    42. Branch Cannon
                    43. Rodman Cannon
                    44. Clara Barton Monument
                    45. Lee Statue
                    46. McKinley Monument
                    47. Old Simmon
                    48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
                    49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
                    50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
                    51. Line Farm
                    52. S. Poffenberger Farm
                    53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
                    54. Roulette Beehives
                    55. Clipp House
                    56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
                    57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
                    58. Newcomer House and Barn
                    59. Newcomer Mill
                    60. Pry Mill
                    61. Stone Mill
                    62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
                    63. Otto House
                    64. Otto's Plowed Field
                    65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
                    66. Otto's Lane
                    67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
                    68. The Narrow Cornfield
                    69. The Reel Barn
                    70. Nicodemus Heights
                    71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
                    72. Cemetery Hill
                    73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
                    74. Hauser Ridge
                    75. Elk Ridge
                    76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
                    before attacking
                    77. Kimball's Knoll
                    78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
                    Hagerstown Pike
                    79. Pry House
                    80. Lee's headquarters
                    81. Jacob Grove House
                    82. Original location of Lutheran Church
                    83. Kretzer House
                    84. Stephen P. Grove House
                    85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
                    86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
                    87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
                    88. Maryland State Monument
                    89. Indiana State Monument
                    90. New Jersey State Monument
                    91. New York State Monument
                    92. Massachusetts State Monument
                    93. Georgia State Monument
                    94. Texas State Monument
                    95. Irish Brigade Monument
                    96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
                    97. 11th Connecticut Monument
                    98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
                    99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
                    100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
                    > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
                    >
                    > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                    > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                    > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                    > Old Simon, etc)
                    > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                    > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                    > + Lee & McClellan HQs
                    > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                    > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                    > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                    > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                    > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                    > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                    > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                    > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                    > more?)
                    >
                    > Brian
                    >

                    > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
                    > > Stephen,
                    > >
                    > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
                    > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
                    > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
                    > >
                    > > Some suggestions:
                    > >
                    > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
                    > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
                    > granite drum)
                    > > Old Simon
                    > > Stetson Marker
                    > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
                    > > Mary Locher Farm
                    > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                    > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
                    > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
                    > >
                    > > Tom Shay

                  • dickeyr46
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                      Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
                      narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

                      Ron Dickey