Re: [TalkAntietam] Brian Pohanka Sad News

    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2005
      Dear Brian,

      This is the first I had heard Brian was so ill. What is wrong with him and
      how close is he to finally tramping the fields with the boys?

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2005
        I don't know Brian Pohanka personally (I have met the man only briefly on
        one occasion) but from my understanding he has been fighting a long term
        battle with cancer. As many of you know Brian Pohanka is most well known for
        his time as a commentator on the History Channel show Civil War Journal. His
        contributions to the civil war community are to numerous to list but span
        everything from the literary world to battlefield preservation,
        re-enactment, lecturing and even adviser on such films as Gettysburg and
        Cold Mountain.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2005
          Antietam Tours, in cooperation with Western Maryland Interpretive
          Association, the Antietam National Battlefield's non-profit, is
          launching a program to offer tested tour guides to visitors to the
          battlefield at Sharpsburg. Those who wish to be guides can read about
          the program at:

          www.virtualantietam.com/guides/AntietamTourGuideFAQ.pdf

          There is a written and an oral test. The first written test will be
          given at the park on Saturday, May 14, 2005 from 10am to noon. If you
          have any questions or wish to sign up to take the test, please contact
          me directly, either by email or by phone. Thanks.

          Regards,
          Stephen Recker
          Interactive Producer

          Another Software Miracle
          P.O. Box 705
          Sharpsburg, MD 21782
          240-217-3664
          800-417-9596
          815-327-3781 (fax)

          http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
          http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
          http://www.virtualantietam.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2005
            Stephen,

            If I did not have already made plans for that day, I would take the test.

            Do you know if there will be other dates?

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2005

              Thanks for the interest. Yes, there will be other dates. I imagine we
              will test in another month or two. Please send me a note to
              recker@... with an idea when you might be
              available. Thanks.

              Stephen Recker

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                Stephen,

                The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

                Some suggestions:

                Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
                Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with granite drum)
                Old Simon
                Stetson Marker
                The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
                Mary Locher Farm
                Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

              • Brian Downey
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                  Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

                  + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                  + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                  + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                  Old Simon, etc)
                  + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                  Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                  + Lee & McClellan HQs
                  + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                  Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                  + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                  + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                  + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                  + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                  (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                  Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                  more?)

                  Brian

                • rotbaron@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                    Stephen,

                    Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
                    interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

                  • dickeyr46
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                      Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
                      Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
                      locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
                      some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
                      listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
                      as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
                      multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
                      start point.

                      Ron Dickey

                      01. Where S.O. 191 was found
                      02. Harper's Ferry Markers
                      03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
                      04. Bolivar Heights
                      05. Maryland Heights
                      06. Loundoun Heights
                      07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
                      08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
                      09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
                      10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
                      11. Miller's Sawmill Road
                      12. Marameade
                      13. Henry Shoemaker House
                      14. Stone House
                      15. Mountain House
                      16. Turner's Gap markers
                      17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
                      18. Reno and Garland monuments
                      19. NC monument at Fox Gap
                      20. Crampton's Gap markers
                      21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
                      22. Upper Bridge
                      23. Middle Bridge
                      24. Lower Bridge
                      25. Pry Ford
                      26. Snavely Ford
                      27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
                      28. Stop 2 – North Woods
                      29. Stop 3 – East Woods
                      30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
                      31. Stop 5 – West Woods
                      32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
                      33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
                      34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
                      35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
                      36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
                      37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
                      38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
                      39. Starke Cannon
                      40. Anderson Cannon
                      41. Richardson Cannon
                      42. Branch Cannon
                      43. Rodman Cannon
                      44. Clara Barton Monument
                      45. Lee Statue
                      46. McKinley Monument
                      47. Old Simmon
                      48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
                      49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
                      50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
                      51. Line Farm
                      52. S. Poffenberger Farm
                      53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
                      54. Roulette Beehives
                      55. Clipp House
                      56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
                      57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
                      58. Newcomer House and Barn
                      59. Newcomer Mill
                      60. Pry Mill
                      61. Stone Mill
                      62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
                      63. Otto House
                      64. Otto's Plowed Field
                      65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
                      66. Otto's Lane
                      67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
                      68. The Narrow Cornfield
                      69. The Reel Barn
                      70. Nicodemus Heights
                      71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
                      72. Cemetery Hill
                      73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
                      74. Hauser Ridge
                      75. Elk Ridge
                      76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
                      before attacking
                      77. Kimball's Knoll
                      78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
                      Hagerstown Pike
                      79. Pry House
                      80. Lee's headquarters
                      81. Jacob Grove House
                      82. Original location of Lutheran Church
                      83. Kretzer House
                      84. Stephen P. Grove House
                      85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
                      86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
                      87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
                      88. Maryland State Monument
                      89. Indiana State Monument
                      90. New Jersey State Monument
                      91. New York State Monument
                      92. Massachusetts State Monument
                      93. Georgia State Monument
                      94. Texas State Monument
                      95. Irish Brigade Monument
                      96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
                      97. 11th Connecticut Monument
                      98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
                      99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
                      100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

                      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
                      > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
                      >
                      > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                      > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                      > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                      > Old Simon, etc)
                      > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                      > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                      > + Lee & McClellan HQs
                      > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                      > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                      > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                      > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                      > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                      > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                      > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                      > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                      > more?)
                      >
                      > Brian
                      >

                      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
                      > > Stephen,
                      > >
                      > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
                      > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
                      > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
                      > >
                      > > Some suggestions:
                      > >
                      > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
                      > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
                      > granite drum)
                      > > Old Simon
                      > > Stetson Marker
                      > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
                      > > Mary Locher Farm
                      > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                      > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
                      > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
                      > >
                      > > Tom Shay

                    • dickeyr46
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                        Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
                        narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

                        Ron Dickey