Brian Pohanka Sad News

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2005
      This message appeared today in the GDG message group. I felt that as Brain
      Pohanka is so well known all across the Civil War community that folks here
      would care to know.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2005
        Dear Brian,

        This is the first I had heard Brian was so ill. What is wrong with him and
        how close is he to finally tramping the fields with the boys?

        Very respectfully,
        G E "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

> [...]
        >> the only people in the history of the world who went from a situation of
        >> slavery to one of freedom through no action of their own.
        >>
        >> Tell it to the 200,000 black men who donned Union blue.
        >>
        >> On Brian's front porch, I reminded him of the time when a neo-Confederate
        >> made a racist remark about someone in Company "B" and I was forced to
        >> pull
        >> Brian off the man and prevent him from killing the Reb. Brian smiled, but
        >> said that he took no delight in the fact and was sorry that the incident
        > had
        >> taken place.
        >>
        >> He reminded me of the time when he had to pull me off of one of the
        > fellows
        >> in "Glory" temporarily assigned to our company when he had a loaded
        >> musket
        >> pointed, through carelessness, at the back of Brian's head. In my cased,

      • Brian Morris
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2005
          I don't know Brian Pohanka personally (I have met the man only briefly on
          one occasion) but from my understanding he has been fighting a long term
          battle with cancer. As many of you know Brian Pohanka is most well known for
          his time as a commentator on the History Channel show Civil War Journal. His
          contributions to the civil war community are to numerous to list but span
          everything from the literary world to battlefield preservation,
          re-enactment, lecturing and even adviser on such films as Gettysburg and
          Cold Mountain.

          Brian

          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2005
            Antietam Tours, in cooperation with Western Maryland Interpretive
            Association, the Antietam National Battlefield's non-profit, is
            launching a program to offer tested tour guides to visitors to the
            battlefield at Sharpsburg. Those who wish to be guides can read about
            the program at:

            www.virtualantietam.com/guides/AntietamTourGuideFAQ.pdf

            There is a written and an oral test. The first written test will be
            given at the park on Saturday, May 14, 2005 from 10am to noon. If you
            have any questions or wish to sign up to take the test, please contact
            me directly, either by email or by phone. Thanks.

            Regards,
            Stephen Recker
            Interactive Producer

            Another Software Miracle
            P.O. Box 705
            Sharpsburg, MD 21782
            240-217-3664
            800-417-9596
            815-327-3781 (fax)

            http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
            http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
            http://www.virtualantietam.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2005
              Stephen,

              If I did not have already made plans for that day, I would take the test.

              Do you know if there will be other dates?

              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2005

                Thanks for the interest. Yes, there will be other dates. I imagine we
                will test in another month or two. Please send me a note to
                recker@... with an idea when you might be
                available. Thanks.

                Stephen Recker

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                  Stephen,

                  The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).

                  Some suggestions:

                  Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
                  Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with granite drum)
                  Old Simon
                  Stetson Marker
                  The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
                  Mary Locher Farm
                  Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                  Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)

                • Brian Downey
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                    Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...

                    + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                    + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                    + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                    Old Simon, etc)
                    + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                    Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                    + Lee & McClellan HQs
                    + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                    Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                    + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                    + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                    + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                    + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                    (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                    Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                    more?)

                    Brian

                  • rotbaron@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6, 2005
                      Stephen,

                      Can I forward your notice about the test to others? I know several who may be
                      interested but are not members of TalkAntietam.

                    • dickeyr46
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                        Okay, here goes... 99 locations plus 1 for good measure that all
                        Antietam tour guides should know. There are certainly many ways these
                        locations could be sliced, and there is plenty of room to argue that
                        some listings should be combined into one or others made into multiple
                        listings. For example: I've listed the Lower Bridge AND tour Stop 10
                        as as two listings... Stop 10 as the "overlook". The same is true for
                        multiple listings at the Middle Bridge. Here's my suggestions for a
                        start point.

                        Ron Dickey

                        01. Where S.O. 191 was found
                        02. Harper's Ferry Markers
                        03. Harper's Ferry arsenal area
                        04. Bolivar Heights
                        05. Maryland Heights
                        06. Loundoun Heights
                        07. Route from Harper's ferry to Shepherdstown
                        08. Shepherdstown Ford Markers
                        09. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from (West) Virginia side
                        10. Shepherdstown (Boteler) Ford from Maryland side
                        11. Miller's Sawmill Road
                        12. Marameade
                        13. Henry Shoemaker House
                        14. Stone House
                        15. Mountain House
                        16. Turner's Gap markers
                        17. Fox Gap, Wise Cabin
                        18. Reno and Garland monuments
                        19. NC monument at Fox Gap
                        20. Crampton's Gap markers
                        21. Correspondent's Arch & 1st NJ Brigade Monument
                        22. Upper Bridge
                        23. Middle Bridge
                        24. Lower Bridge
                        25. Pry Ford
                        26. Snavely Ford
                        27. Stop 1 – Dunker Church
                        28. Stop 2 – North Woods
                        29. Stop 3 – East Woods
                        30. Stop 4 - The Cornfield
                        31. Stop 5 – West Woods
                        32. Stop 6 – Mumma Farm
                        33. Stop 7 – Roulette Farm
                        34. Stop 8 – Sunken Road
                        35. Stop 9 – Burnside Bridge Overlook (Georgian Overlook)
                        36. Stop 10 – Final Attack
                        37. Stop 11 – National Cemetery
                        38. Mansfield Cannon and Monument
                        39. Starke Cannon
                        40. Anderson Cannon
                        41. Richardson Cannon
                        42. Branch Cannon
                        43. Rodman Cannon
                        44. Clara Barton Monument
                        45. Lee Statue
                        46. McKinley Monument
                        47. Old Simmon
                        48. Locher (A. Poffenberger) Cabin and Barn
                        49. Miller Farm/House/Barn
                        50. J. Poffenberger Farm, House, and Barn
                        51. Line Farm
                        52. S. Poffenberger Farm
                        53. Park Farm, House, and Barn
                        54. Roulette Beehives
                        55. Clipp House
                        56. Piper Farm, House, Barn, and Slave Quarters
                        57. Piper Cornfield and Orchard
                        58. Newcomer House and Barn
                        59. Newcomer Mill
                        60. Pry Mill
                        61. Stone Mill
                        62. Sherrick Farm, House, and Barn
                        63. Otto House
                        64. Otto's Plowed Field
                        65. Otto's 40-acre Cornfield
                        66. Otto's Lane
                        67. Stone wall overlooking 40-acre cornfield
                        68. The Narrow Cornfield
                        69. The Reel Barn
                        70. Nicodemus Heights
                        71. I/XII Corps Artillery positions on Poffenberger Farm
                        72. Cemetery Hill
                        73. Artillery on Dunker Church Ridge
                        74. Hauser Ridge
                        75. Elk Ridge
                        76. Stream where the Irish Brigade lined up and dropped equipment
                        before attacking
                        77. Kimball's Knoll
                        78. Campbell's Battery and Rock ledge in Miller's pasture, west of
                        Hagerstown Pike
                        79. Pry House
                        80. Lee's headquarters
                        81. Jacob Grove House
                        82. Original location of Lutheran Church
                        83. Kretzer House
                        84. Stephen P. Grove House
                        85. Toll House on Boonsboro Pike
                        86. Toll House on Hagerstown Pike
                        87. The miller's house at the Middle Bridge
                        88. Maryland State Monument
                        89. Indiana State Monument
                        90. New Jersey State Monument
                        91. New York State Monument
                        92. Massachusetts State Monument
                        93. Georgia State Monument
                        94. Texas State Monument
                        95. Irish Brigade Monument
                        96. 51st PA/51st NY Monuments
                        97. 11th Connecticut Monument
                        98. 15th Massachusetts Monument
                        99. 124th PA/34th NY/Purnell Legion Monuments
                        100. 9th NY/8th Conn Monuments

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...> wrote:
                        > Great subject. How about some of the obvious ones ...
                        >
                        > + all tour stops & their physical features (duh!)
                        > + locations of all 6 mortuary cannon (bonus: tube type)
                        > + locations of major/State monuments (i.e., NY, MD, GA, MA, IN, NJ,
                        > Old Simon, etc)
                        > + significant farmsteads/other structures (Mumma, Miller, Roulette,
                        > Sherrick, Poffenbergers, Piper, Otto, Rohrbach, more?)
                        > + Lee & McClellan HQs
                        > + Major Arty positions (SD Lee, Hauser/Nicodemus, I/XII Corps
                        > Reserves, East Bank Antietam, Sharpsburg, more?)
                        > + Snavely's & Pry's Fords
                        > + Potomac River where it is nearest ANB north and south
                        > + Potomac Fords/crossings used by troops
                        > + direction and distance from ANB to other important points
                        > (Crampton's, Fox's and Turner's Gaps, Harpers Ferry, Frederick,
                        > Hagerstown, Shepherdstown, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chambersburg PA,
                        > more?)
                        >
                        > Brian
                        >

                        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
                        > > Stephen,
                        > >
                        > > The PDF file says you are open to suggestions for "99 Places Every
                        > Guide Should Know". If you are indeed looking for some, undoubtedly
                        > this group can offer some (and we'll learn plenty while doing so).
                        > >
                        > > Some suggestions:
                        > >
                        > > Orginal location of 2nd MD monument
                        > > Orginal location of 51st PA monument (i.e. the one topped with
                        > granite drum)
                        > > Old Simon
                        > > Stetson Marker
                        > > The only two Confederate state monuments at Antietam
                        > > Mary Locher Farm
                        > > Original roadbed of old Confederate Avenue
                        > > Oldest monument at Antietam (would I be correct in saying the
                        > cornerstone of the Old Soldier monument dedicated in 1867?)
                        > >
                        > > Tom Shay

                      • dickeyr46
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 11, 2005
                          Oops! In my ealier post on the subject, I referred to "Stop 10" in the
                          narrative. That reference should have been Stop 9, the Lower Bridge.

                          Ron Dickey