Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Trip Report (May 1)

    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005

      Outstanding work! I did not realize NPS now owned the Miller Farm and also
      all the Jos Poffenberger farm as part of Antietam NBP.

      Would be curious to see what recent work has been done aroudn the area of
      the Piper Farm and Sunken Road.

      Very respectfully,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        gerry1952@... writes:
        Would be curious to see what recent work has been done aroudn the area of
        the Piper Farm
        Speaking of Piper Farm....I was not aware (until yesterday) that the Piper
        Bed & Breakfast is gone. Owners retired and place is now private residence of
        some sort.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          Dear Tom,

          Wow! Now if SHAF could only work out some sort of deal and the NPS then
          ultimately take possession......... That ground is also a very key piece of
          terrain; many Confederates died defending it from Yankee control after the
          center was pierced at the Sunken Road.

          Very respectfully,
          G E "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2005
            Gerry Mayers wrote: That ground is also a very key piece of terrain; many Confederates died defending it from Yankee control after the center was pierced at the Sunken Road.

            Gerry,

            Here is some stuff I recall from our stop at Piper Farm:

            Replanting of the orchard continues to be expanded. However, the far west end will not be replanted, as much of that ground is rocky and soil is 18 inches lower than had been.

            No firm idea of exactly what fruits were grown in the orchard.

            In 1862, the orchard trees were apparently fairly large. Accounts of Rebels climbing into them (for use as sharpshooting positions) seem to endorse this.

            Piper House itself appears nothing like the original building used as Longstreet's HQ.

            Story was recounted of how Piper daughters were avidly pro-Union. They offered DH Hill and Longsreet some wine. Longstreet declined out of caution of poisoning, while Hill accepted. After Hill showed no ill effects, Ol' Pete accepted the offer. (I'm sure you've heard that one).

            We also stopped north of the cemetery at possible site of Hill's horse getting torn open by Union shell. This position obviously offered Lee an excellent view of events to his north. From there we could see tips of North Woods trees, West Woods, farm silos near Hooker (Upper) Bridge, town of Sharpsburg, Red Hill, and Sunken Road.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2005

              Nice report. Next time you and I can be together at Antietam, I would like
              very much to see that vantage point in the cemetery.

              Very respectfully,
              G E "Gerry" Mayers
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps